Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: The perfect debugging tool  (Read 3910 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

"But what about the Fio/Nano/Pro/Pro mini and other "breadboard friendly" clones. Or even the Lilypad, the shape doesn't matter.

If the Quadd had a general-purpose interface shield all these features would work with the smaller boards."

Users can use short wires like this to jumper over if the right pins are installed on the other parts:
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1806  male-male, male-female, female-female available as standard packs
and housings as needed to plug onto the pins in question:
1x4, 1x6, 1x12, etc
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/70

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Yep, even without a special board those wires can be used to interface any Arduino or clone large or small.

I'll look at pinouts for an adaptor but just having a bread board with rows of labeled sockets would be easy and universal.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Dang I hate having to deal with dual voltages. Whatever happened to the days when everything was 5v?

It's not practical to do a full emulation by turning the buffers around so I'm going for a "Chip tester". This will allow you to play with a new chip, say a port expander with an SPI interface, by connecting a few wires and "talking" to it with the debugger. This should allow you to generally play with the chip and get the command sequences right in "real time" without having to compile/upload every time.

On another front, due to a monumental stuff up by the LPC designers as far as I can tell ADC4 input and one of the USB connections are on the same pin and cannot be muxed to another. So you either have ADC4 or USB but not both. smiley-mad I need the ADC so it looks like I'll be breaking out the FTDI chip. So much for using the internal USB and saving some hardware.

Schematics nearly done. Looks like a 4-layer board though smiley-sad

______
Rob  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:30:30 pm by Graynomad » Logged

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

I've made some big changes to this but I have a question for those used to debugging embedded micro hardware.

Given 16 bits of high-speed (hopefully 25MHz) storage that can be split between digital and analog what mix makes more sense?

8 bits AN (single ch)
8 bit DIG

or

10 bits AN  (single ch)
6 bit DIG

Is dual AN channel really necessary?

______
Rob

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I would keep 8 bits of digital to be able to capture byte transfers.
8-bit analog would be comparable to this one
http://www.pdamusician.com/dpscope/features.html
and that 8-bits seems to work fine for signals I have looked at.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

OK I'll see how things fit, I'm very limited for connector space and that may make the decision for me.

What about one/two channels for a scope, personally I think one is enough and once again I have space limitations.

_____
Rob

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

I find I use 2 a lot - one for the actual signal, and often a 2nd so I see where it is occurring with respect to something known.
Hmm, sounds more like a 2-channel logic analyzer that way, which is how I have been using my scope actually.
Yeah, I think for strictly analog I am usually looking at audio stuff and then 1 channel is enough.

Will you  be able to do some of the stuff that Visual Analyzer does?
http://www.sillanumsoft.org/prod01.htm
This is only sound card based, I have found it helpful working out where noise is coming from in analog circuits.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Hmm, sounds more like a 2-channel logic analyzer that way
That's what I'm thinking, what I'm doing is primarily a digital tool but there are times when you want to see the relationship between the digital stuff and an analog signal. For serious analog you would still need a proper scope I think.

Will you  be able to do some of the stuff that Visual Analyzer does?
I don't even know what most of that is smiley Analog is not my strong point. It won't be a priority but most of that is post processing that can be added at any point, I just need to be sure I get the hardware in place to sample what needs to be sampled.

______
Rob

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Rob,
How about just making the board be able to output data for simplot then?
http://www.negtronics.com/simplot

The author Brijesh seems to be keeping it supported.
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,58911.0.html

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

Still thinking about analog bits but I've pretty much decided to use a different enclosure, if I do this then I'll have a lot more room for connectors so that won't be the limiting factor any more.

Thanks for the simplot link, that also led me to a similar thing called NetworkViewer which is written in QT and therefore cross-platform.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,64175.new.html

Something like either of these is what I'd like to do, they just need about 10 more things added but they'd make a good start point. Nothing worse than looking at a blank screen wondering how to start.

______
Rob
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:42:02 pm by Graynomad » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: