Go Down

Topic: Prototype working, what's next? (For production/distribution) (Read 643 times) previous topic - next topic

mox-

I'm done with my prototype, what's next if I want to get my circuit and an enclosure in "small" quantity (~200 units)

I have 2 prototypes.. one that requires a microcontroller (Arduino in this case) and I'd like to get it built to resell it.
Should I get a less expensive microcontroller and program it myself? And get a board done to put that controller on it?
I'd like to have everything done for me, I don't want to assemble all the parts of the circuit (except connecting the controller in a holder on the board after putting the code in it) the second circuit needs no controller, it's just a led light but needs a special shape (imagine a triangle with a hole in the center) it's not exactly a square board.

Also, I'd like to get enclosures for these circuits. First one with the microcontroller is simple as there is some holes needed for leds, potentiometer, I/O but it is a square/rectangne enclosure. The second circuit needs a special shape and because there will be leds in there it needs a "cover" that is transparent/frosted

anyone have an idea what are my next steps.

In a "small" quantity like ~200 units, should I look for a china manufacturer or should I look locally (us/canada) ? Is there alternatives like mexico, india, etc.. ?
Should I try to get everything made at the same place (circuit/enclosure) or should I get them made in different locations?

Thanks
--Ben

jmknapp

For enclosures, I've been thinking about using local laser-cutting facilities. Laser cutters can easily cut acrylic for pots, switches, displays, etc. There's a local hackerspace of sorts here for small-scale work, as well as several other options in town for larger runs. Of course, that means putting it together yourself, so maybe that's not a good solution for you.

There's a guy at the hackerspace (http://columbusideafoundry.com) who laser-cuts recycled wooden cigar boxes for electronic enclosures.

Joe

Techone

Hi mox-

When I was working at Tectrol http://www.tectrol.com/, the company was also building 6/49 machines and the 407 ETR Transceiver in the mid 1990's. I did ask if they can manufacture others electronics devices, and they say "yes' but with a price. The company is located in Toronto, ON ( That is local , well 6 hr drive from Montreal )

just check them out to see if they will manufacture your boards.   Just an idea.  Oh, no Tim Horton nearby by the way.  :smiley-mr-green:

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy