Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Running a projector safely for a month  (Read 1498 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have an art show starting up in the next week or so, and am curious about the possibility of using a projector to display an interactive program for the duration. Problem is that the show will last for the entire month of October, and I don't see how a projector bulb could last that long. Does anyone know if displaying a blank, black screen will help save the bulb over time? I might be able to rig an Arduino and a distance sensor to "wake up" the piece when someone walks by, then go back to black when they leave.

Grad student, creative technologist, OSHW engineer
http://jason-webb.info

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Look into renting/buying ($200-300) an LED projector instead, no bulb to burn out.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Turning a bulb on and off too often will actually shorten the life of a bulb due to the repeated thermal shocks.

View Profile

Darn. The show starts on Monday, and we don't have any money to buy or rent an LED projector for an entire month. Do you have any tips for getting a projector to last an entire month on one bulb? I don't expect traffic to be very heavy, so it might only need to be "on" for an hour or two per day.

Grad student, creative technologist, OSHW engineer
http://jason-webb.info

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Darn. The show starts on Monday, and we don't have any money to buy or rent an LED projector for an entire month. Do you have any tips for getting a projector to last an entire month on one bulb? I don't expect traffic to be very heavy, so it might only need to be "on" for an hour or two per day.

Doesn't your projector have a "no signal bulb save" mode, where it shuts down the bulb for a period if it doesn't receive a signal...?

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

At least start with a fresh bulb ....

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: