Go Down

Topic: stk500 - not in sync(), protocol error (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I have just spent time looking through past posts as well as taking time to try all of the suggestions on the troubleshooting page of ardunio.cc.
  My problem is that I can no longer upload anything to my Arduino Nano Board (w/ ATmega328).  I also have a Arduino Duemilanove (w/ ATmega328) that I first used to program.  It installed itself on COM3, and things worked fine with that.  I just ordered this Nano, installed on COM4, and the first several times, I was able to program it.  I had it hooked up to a breadboard, where I was able to make it light up LEDs on and off, and I used an external power supply a few times and verified that I would still work with that (never did I use both external 5V and USB power at the same time). 
  Now all of a sudden, when I try to upload programs to the board, I get this trace message:
Code: [Select]

Binary sketch size: 3980 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Just to make sure, I went back to using the Duemilanove, and that still works, and I can program with no problems.  I even restarted the computer the first time to make sure that a loaded driver was not an issue.
  I have seen a similar post to this problem, but in that thread, the people seemed to fix the issue themselves, so there was no real tied up loose ends.
  One of the things I read was that the bootloader might be not installed.  When I first power up the Nano, I do not see the little yellow light (connected to Pin 13) light up anymore, and I feel like I did see that before.  When I tried to burn a bootloader (I tried several), I got the same message as above.
  I make sure that I indeed select COM4 for the Nano, but it refuses to load. 

Are there any suggestions?

Using your other working arduino as a programmer with 'ArduinoISP' didn't work?
• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

I got this when i used an ultrasound sensor in my project which is connected on the rx/tx pins. After disconnecting it for the upload it worked. You did not write if there was anything connected at the time of the upload. Maybe this helps?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131