Go Down

Topic: 9V power supply issue (Read 669 times) previous topic - next topic

theel33

Help! I've been working on a robot, and I need it done very soon. I am using an Arduino Uno with a motor shield, and it works fine when connected to my computer, but when i plug in the 9v battery, and switch it to VIC, nothing happens. There are a series of clicks, however.

retrolefty

Those small 9 volt batteries do not have enough current capacity to drive your motor. Try building a battery pack out of AA batteries, say 6 of them is series, that should work much better.

Lefty

theel33

Would it still safely work with an Arduino if there were 6 AAs?

James C4S

Would it still safely work with an Arduino if there were 6 AAs?

Why wouldn't it be safe?
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

theel33

well would it be too much voltage for it to handle?

James C4S

How many volts in a single AA cell?  (Hint:  About 1.5V)
6 * 1.5V = ?
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

theel33

cr0sh

man do i feel dumb...

Realize that if you use rechargeables (mainly NiCd and NiMH), cell voltage is only 1.2 volts per cell (so 6 would give you 7.2 volts; 8 would give you 9.6 volts - note that these voltages are "standard" values for widely available radio-control battery packs); alkalines are 1.5 volts per cell (6 giving you 9 volts).

Lithium-based rechargeable batteries (Lithium Ion and LiPoly) are 2.7 - 3.7 volts per cell, however - so make sure you do the math beforehand...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy