computerless arduino?

Hey, i found this on my travels: computerless Arduino
and they quote:

Here’s a fun hack we’ve been experimenting with — a computerless Arduino! It’s small, inexpensive, and doesn’t require a computer to change the code, so you can take it with you and make awesome things anywhere.

The Computerless Arduino consists of two major components; an Arduino-compatible microcontroller loaded with a realtime code interpreter, and a stand-alone 5 button LCD display to display port values and manipulate code. The display can be connected to the Arduino via a 4-pin port at any time to peek at In/Out values, view the current code, and make changes as desired.

By keeping the display separate, it’s possible to have many dedicated Arduino modules (we’re using one of the smallest, cheapest, and most-capable Arduino clones, the Teensy2.0 for $18), without needing to spend much on each additional device. For the display we’re using the super small uLCD-144 (by 4D Systems for $29), and the system could easily be modified to use a larger display or computer if desired.

The programming instruction set for the Computerless Arduino is quite small, making it easy for novices to get started while still working with real code. Navigating the user interface is a bit tedious on such a tiny display, but it’s easy to learn and provides everything you need — a basic multichannel signal scope, a code page for the setup() function which runs once at startup, and 8 pages of code for the loop() function which provides the main functionality and runs over-and-over forever.

The code for the Computerless Arduino is still quite experimental, but it’s all here. As always, Labs work is open source and creative commons, so if you’re curious to play with it yourself or build derivative work, have at it!

Arduino code with realtime interpreter for the Teensy2.0
Display code written in 4DGL for the uLCD-144(GFX)
Protocol for communication between the Arduino and the display

We’re still noodling on where to take it next, but there definitely seems to be something interesting about non-conventional approaches to embedded development.

now i may not have the same gear, but wat i do have should be enough, a spi display of the same dimentions (works with the adafruit demo code for such displays), and an Arduino Nano. should this not be enough?

but upon trying to compile the code in the IDE i get this:

ComputerlessArduino_12:33: error: no matching function for call to 'HardwareSerial::HardwareSerial()'
K:\arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/HardwareSerial.h:50: note: candidates are: HardwareSerial::HardwareSerial(ring_buffer*, volatile uint8_t*, volatile uint8_t*, volatile uint8_t*, volatile uint8_t*, volatile uint8_t*, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t)
K:\arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/HardwareSerial.h:32: note:                 HardwareSerial::HardwareSerial(const HardwareSerial&)

im not sure wat to do in order to make that one thing ok, let alone any other error that may be pooed out.
its bad enough they dont tell u how to build it but when the code wont compile because of that then how else u supposed to work it out?

if anyone else knows of this project and can shed light on it then i'd be happy.

You can find the code for HardwareSerial in the Arduino distribution.
I'm guessing this was written for an earlier version of Arduino.

If I could use my android phone to edit, compile, and upload to arduino via bluetooth, that would be awesome. Too bad google and oracle are still fighting over some java issues and we probably don't get java on android very soon.

AWOL:
You can find the code for HardwareSerial in the Arduino distribution.
I'm guessing this was written for an earlier version of Arduino.

i was thinking that, may have to try on an older version and see how i go, if not how will i make this comply with the latest?

the line it stops dead at and hilites is:

HardwareSerial Uart = HardwareSerial();

That agrees with what the compiler was telling you. The HardwareSerial class has two constructors - one that takes 11 values, and one that takes an existing instance (the copy constructor). It does not have a no-argument constructor, so that code is (now) invalid.

PaulS:

That agrees with what the compiler was telling you. The HardwareSerial class has two constructors - one that takes 11 values, and one that takes an existing instance (the copy constructor). It does not have a no-argument constructor, so that code is (now) invalid.

ok so wat do i do to make it happy? :slight_smile:

Give it the 11 values it wants would be one way.
Or skip using HardwareSerial.

thing is i wouldnt know what to replace it with.. since if i comment it out it complains wen a line mentions UART.

and to make things worse they makers dont seem to be paying any attention to the site where they put this thing -_-

well i have no idea if it will do what i hope it will do but it compiles now at least..

I commented out the 'Hardwareserial UART = Hardwareserial()' line, and changed all appearences of UART to Serial as well as commented out the 'UART.begin' line since there was a serial begin one above it

liudr:
If I could use my android phone to edit, compile, and upload to arduino via bluetooth, that would be awesome. Too bad google and oracle are still fighting over some java issues and we probably don't get java on android very soon.

While Android can't execute Java bytecode, most android apps are written in Java then compiled by an android vm. I'm not saying it would be remotely easy, or even possible, because there is no port of AVR-GCC, but I could see it as maybe possible with lots of adjusted java code and a lot of reworking of AVR-GCC for the NDK. A much more feasible option would be, say, emailing/downloading/saving different precompiled programs to your phone which could be fairly simply transferred over ADK serial to an accessory which could act as an ICSP or serial programmer.

well this ones on hold til i can afford to get the screen module they used since it also needs to be programmed with special code -_-

unless someone can come up with a workaround using a second arduino with a cheaper spi screen module maybe?