Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: What kind of components would I need?  (Read 941 times)
Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

OH so would I need to tell it to like not sink the current, send the flow of electricity the other way?

Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

How to you program to sink current?

Discussed here a while ago:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,73063.msg548204.html#msg548204

Sinking means letting current flow into the pin. You just connect the common anode to 5V, and connect the cathode (with serial resistor) to the TLC5940 pin so when the pin is pulled to ground, current will flow into the pin.

If you need more detailed explanation, here is my blog post:

http://liudr.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/sourcing-and-sinking-current/

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

"OH so would I need to tell it to like not sink the current, send the flow of electricity the other way?"

No - you wire 5 common anode LEDs to each TLC5940, and control them as groups of three to get your rainbow/twinkle effect.
You need 1 resistor per TLC5940 to set the current limit for the LEDs connected to that part.

The TLC5940 will take care sinking the correct amount of current per LED for the brightness level you will command using the clock & data line.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: