Go Down

Topic: anyone knows a decent affordable logical analyzer ? (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

Grumpy_Mike

wow... even though both hardware/software may be good, honestly spending 500 USD sounds a bit extreme given the context. not to mention that i'm not  even sure i'll be capable of using it anyway

That is nothing for a quality instrument, it won't even get you a decent scope. I spent £10,000 on a logic analiser (at work) when I lived in a house that cost me £8,000.

FeersumEndjinn

That's the Saleae Logic, I've got one and they are great, no analog though.

______
Rob

Correct, but the original question was for a logic analyzer to monitor USB data exchanges so the Saleae logic would be his cheapest option.

fourchette

wow... spending 500 USD sounds a bit extreme given the context.

That is nothing for a quality instrument, it won't even get you a decent scope. I spent £10,000 on a logic analiser (at work) when I lived in a house that cost me £8,000.

at work -- it used to be a factory assembling & repairing electronic devices -- they have a complete room full of dozens of unused supposedly expensive HP oscilloscopes somewhere in the back of a warehouse. They have not been used for years. kinda forgotten there. I asked if i could be donated one to have fun at home but i have been told that even though they are not used now, they are too expensive to be donated to employees. i have not been given a price, but it seems they were paid about several thousands EUR

i have used oscilloscopes back at school, it was kind of fun, but well... playing video games was fun too back then :)
so i have not used any since high-school and embedded hardware is a recent hobby of mine. basically i am not sure i could do anything with an oscilloscope, and an expensive one feels like it might not be a good option of a n00b like me. not to mention that i doubt the oscilloscope would convert the UP/DOWN signals into usable bytes like wireshark does with network.

i have the feeling they will be sent to the trash in the next few months
Should i take one in the trash for a future use then ?

fourchette

That's the Saleae Logic, I've got one and they are great, no analog though.

Correct, but the original question was for a logic analyzer to monitor USB data exchanges so the Saleae logic would be his cheapest option.

as long as it gets the job done quickly without days of scratching my head not understanding what is going on
==> i guess that's enough.

once i'm used to logic analysis then i will know what i need / want / dont want ==> then i may target something more professional.

for now "cheap that works" is exactly what i am looking for.

so will Saleae be able to understand/capture/decode raw usb frames ? (it is digital signal indeed, sorry if i wasn't clear on that)

Important: i have never read the hundreds pages long of official low level USB norm/protocol definition (what i will call here the "transport protocol"). However i am expert with the targeted peripheral "application-level protocol" i want to see on the device under test while it is operating.

cyclegadget

Should i take one in the trash for a future use then ?

Grab them all if possible, the worst thing that could happen is that you would trash them yourself. Maybe, you could sell them for an easy profit.

Go Up