Go Down

Topic: Visual Micro - Arduino for Visual Studio (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic

Marius

Finally and at last there is an IDE solution that makes sense for non Linux users. Visual Micro or Arduino for Visual Studio 2010, has been released and it is absolutely great.
A whole lot of work has been put into this Add-in for Visual Studio to make it a seamless implementation of the Arduino IDE build rules into the VS environment. You simply load your existing sketch - no modifications - and away you go.
The Intellisense works great and all the features of Visual Studio are available to the programmer. Boards can be selected from a toolbar and multiple Serial Monitor windows can be opened simultaneously.  

Go to the Playground and have a look at http://arduino.cc/playground/Code/VisualMicro
Downloads can be found here visualmicro.codeplex.com
The creator's site is here http://www.visualmicro.com/

Rather people think you to be a fool than you open your mouth and confirm it.

Graynomad

That looks good, if it works as described it will be breath of fresh air to the whole VS/Netbeans/Eclipse/IDE/makefile/etc scene.

Unfortunately for me I only have VS2008.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Marius

Rob,
It is just that simple. I do believe that the author will release a VS2008 version in the near future. There are some compatibility issues but they are working on it.

robindegen

I'd like to point out that avr studio 5 is basicly visual studio 2010. And you can use all the arduino libraries from it. Everything works. However there are a few things you need to do.

Create a new c++ project (install it under updates) Have a main that looks something like this:

Code: [Select]

#include <avr/io.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <util/delay.h>

extern "C" void __cxa_pure_virtual() {} //C++ compiler fix

#define ARDUINO_MAIN
#include "Arduino.h"

int main(void)
{
init(); //init the arduino, you must call this.
pinMode(9, OUTPUT);

while (1)
{
digitalWrite(9, HIGH);
delay(1000);
digitalWrite(9, LOW);
delay(1000);
}

return 0;
}

Also, under project properties->symbols you need to add F_CPU=16000000UL (or whatever speed your arduino runs at, mine is 16 mhz). Use an AVR programmer (or build your own with another arduino) to program it from in there aswell.

There you go, arduino in visual c++ :)

Marius

I agree and beg to differ - at the same time. Avr Studio 5 has it own compiler and does not always compile Arduino sketches. I have tried several complex sketches that just did not compile. In the end I gave up and went with Eclipse.

This add-in uses the Arduino environment as is and sketches compile first time. Sketches are also backward compatible with Arduino IDE. And you dont have to change any file.

Go Up