Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Bitlash 1.0 (RC1) available at bitlash.net  (Read 2329 times)
Faraday Member
ruggedcircuits.com
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Bitlash port to the Gator is done! Works great!

Bill, did you get the PM I sent you with a patch to correct a bug?

God Member
Get Bitlash: http://bitlash.net
View Profile

Bravo!  I see your post over on the Google group.  Nice work.

I tripped on that very bug about twelve hours after you found it - ugh and thanks.  

-br

Norway
R-Doo-Inoo in the making :3
View Profile

hi i seem to be having problems getting bitlash to work with arduino16 (well any arduino ide in fact)

it is having problems with the librarys or something.
i followed the install instructions too.
it is throwing back this whenever i try and upload to a board:

Code:
bitlash-api.c:103: error: conflicting types for 'initBitlash'
/bitlash.h:302: error: previous declaration of 'initBitlash' was here
bitlash-api.c: In function 'initBitlash':
bitlash-api.c:104: warning: implicit declaration of function 'beginSerial'
bitlash-api.c:105: warning: implicit declaration of function 'displayBanner'
hardware\libraries\src/bitlash.h: In function 'void setup()':

hardware\libraries\src/bitlash.h:302: error: too many arguments to function 'void initBitlash()'

error: at this point in file

can u see wats going on?

any other sketch uploads fine and serial is fine both ways on several devces.

B-dui in creation.

God Member
View Profile

That's a puzzler.  I just re-downloaded and tested on a fresh copy of Arduino-0016 and it works fine here.

The error it's throwing is (implausibly) seeming to indicate the TINY85 define is engaged, which is shouldn't be in the Arduino IDE, of course.

When library issues arise it's usually a good thing to delete the generated library .o file and try again.  In this case you'd delete bitlash.o in the hardware/libraries/bitlash directory and press the recompile button.  If that works, try uploading.

Grasping at straws, I might suggest you re-download and unzip again if you haven't already tried that.

Anything else unusual about your config?  

-br

Norway
View Profile

it was as fresh as the test u did O_o and it was the same on 2 computers
i'll try it again on another fresh install on xp (the other 2 was 2k and win7) and see how it goes. will get back to u..

(EDIT)

ok i think i see where i went mad. i had only put the src folder in the hardware/libraries folder -_-
i should have put the whole bitlash folder in there smiley-lol

wen i started the IDE 1st time it kicked out:

Code:
In file included from bitlash.cpp:32:
/src/bitlash-cmdline.c:43: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
/src/bitlash-cmdline.c:231: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
In file included from bitlash.cpp:36:
/src/bitlash-functions.c:72: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
/src/bitlash-functions.c:75: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
In file included from bitlash.cpp:38:
/src/bitlash-parser.c:55: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
/src/bitlash-parser.c:109: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
/src/bitlash-parser.c:297: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
/src/bitlash-parser.c:298: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
/src/bitlash-parser.c:364: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area
/src/bitlash-parser.c:365: warning: only initialized variables can be placed into program memory area

so i closed and reopened it, and the errors didn't return so i surmised it was 1st run initializing. then i opened the bitlash_demo.pde and compiled it. it seems to be ok, no errors sent back. smiley

seems i confused ure instructions smiley-lol
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:49:47 pm by The_Bongmaster » Logged

B-dui in creation.

Rural Arizona
Edison Member
Incorrigible tinkerer
View Profile

That's brave of you to bring up FORTH in the midst of all these C People,  Madeleine:  you could start another Great Language War  8-)

(For those too young to remember,  there was a segment of the FORTH user community back in the 80s that was almost literally a "cult",  and would get into heated arguments with anyone who denied that it was The Wave of the FutureTM,  and destined to replace all other languages for every purpose.  They even had bumper stickers made up that read "FORTH (heart) IF HONK THEN".)

In keeping with FORTH's Prime Directive (that someone from among The Faithful must ensure that it's available on every single platform more sophisticated than a 4-banger calculator),  there's a Linux implementation.  Interestingly,  no one has done it for the Arduino environment,  because the AVR version uses the bootloader area of flash:  the attitude of The Faithful is "If you want the power and beauty of FORTH,  you should dump that punk C++ stuff,  anyway"  :smiley

But I happened upon something the other day that makes even FORTH look positively Shakespearean:  a language so perverse even its name can't be used in polite company (It was even omitted from this guy's compendium of 1-sentence summaries of over 2000 languages).  Which,  weirdly,  has also been implemented on an Arduino (though with a non-profane name).

Ran

Norway
View Profile

erm.. pass O_o

BR. where is the PDF of the bitlash documentation? i found the Big web page of it but no pdf. i wouldn't mind printing out a small pocket book of it so i can reference to it wen need be.

B-dui in creation.

God Member
View Profile

Bongmaster: Glad to hear you got it working.  We will all have to ignore those warnings; my understanding is they cannot be avoided when a library uses PROGMEM storage, which Bitlash does.

There is a quick-and-dirty .pdf of the doc here:
http://bitlash.net/downloads/bitlash-1.0-documentation.pdf

Regarding the FORTH wars, I can show you some scar tissue... but that's a trip down memory lane best avoided.  Anyway, Bitlash being something of a decorator crab of a language, the storage design steals a bit from Forth.  Mimicry more than ancestry.

Cheers,

-br

Norway
View Profile

thnx bill smiley that will help loads.

B-dui in creation.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: