Go Down

Topic: Arduino Theremin/Synth (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

ohnoezitasploded

Jun 26, 2009, 03:52 am Last Edit: Jun 26, 2009, 03:52 am by ohnoezitasploded Reason: 1

Hi All,
   I made a combination Theremin/Synthesizer for my sister, who's a musician, and I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.  It has the following features:

• Four octaves of continuous pitch variation by moving your hand nearer or farther from an ultrasound sensor
  • Digital volume control
  • Continuous waveform variation-can generate a pure sine tone like a classic theremin, or one with overtones, which sounds like an 80's synth organ.
  • Spectral glide-similar to a Wah pedal or the instrument used in Peter Frampton's 'Do You Feel Like I Do'
  • Decay/Sustain-envelope shaping to play notes
  • Distortion-sounds like the guitar effect.
  • Blue case lighting with 'heartbeat' effect

It's powered by a 5V/16Mhz Arduino Pro 328.  Pitch control is done with ultrasound, the other effects by controls which move an LED nearer or farther to a photoresistor.

I've done a pretty extensive write-up of the hardware and software on my blog, might be helpful for someone who's working on a similar project.

http://blog.wingedvictorydesign.com/2009/06/20/arduino-thereminsynth-final-walkthrough/

:)
Max

Otacon2k

Man, that looks awesome! I should build something as a gift too, so I am forced to build a nice housing as you did...
And the features sound great as well!

skwm

Very nice work on the housing!

florinc

Bookmarked your eclectic blob.
Keep up the good work!

Go Up