Go Down

Topic: What would a layman do with C++??? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

eddiea6987

I could print the Arduino logo on a box of cereal and sell it as "Arduin-O's"

bebo

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.  I think some of you may have misread my sentiment.  I am only on this forum because I am fascinated and envious of your knowledge and experience, and I want a taste too.  Ultimately, it's my own lack of imagination and insight that is leaving me disillusioned, so I am asking for a little insight from this community.  I've had the Arduino for about a year now, working with it here and there where I can find the time.  It's terrific!  I've already made several successful and practical projects with it, and some frivolous ones as well.  The coding part is going slow, but every day a little more makes sense.  So I made the leap and got a C++ compiler and tried to learn the language.  That's where my enthusiasm waned.  The tutorials were reasonably easy to follow, but I had a hard time figuring out the applications of these parts of the language.  I'm still trying to figure out why pointers are so useful.  Looking for examples on SourceForge and other such sites left me frustrated because I could never get any of the programs to compile. 
   It seems like most of the C++ applications out there in the world are done by teams of professionals, working for businesses.  So in regards to the original question, I think I'll stick with the Arduino subset of C++ until I feel bound by it's limitaions.
  To the posters who took the time to reply:

Retrolefty-  I think my problem is how to use C++ outside of the Arduino platform.

mmcp42 - ???

Grumpy Mike - It's not about what can I do with  computer, it's about what can I do with a knowledge of C++.  I use CAD to design my welding projects, photo editing programs, etc.  But I see your point, thank you.

Pekkaa - I've got a five month old girl, and I've got several ideas in mind for her.  Just because I don't play games much doesn't mean I don't want to make fun stuff for her.

AWOL - Your right, tin bashers didn't make sextants, microscopes, or conceive radio.  They didn't conceive a Bose-Eintein condensate, LSD, or the FleshLight either.  What's the point?  But where did the sextant makers get the metal to make the sextant?  Where did the microscope makers get the metal tube?  Where did the radio makers get the wire?  From the tin bashers.  To paraphrase Newton, we are all standing on the shoulders of giants.

draythomp - THANK YOU.  This was by far the most informative reply.  Your right, I don't need that stuff until much later. 

focalist - I've worked through a lot of the examples, even wrote my own basic code.  I'd love to make a CNC controller for my plasma cutter, but I'm not there yet.

So thanks everyone.  If you ever have any questions about metal, feel free to call.
bird denigration is a crime

Grumpy_Mike

So I made the leap and got a C++ compiler and tried to learn the language.  That's where my enthusiasm waned.  The tutorials were reasonably easy to follow, but I had a hard time figuring out the applications of these parts of the language.  I'm still trying to figure out why pointers are so useful.

I see, that is a rather dry way to learn a language because as you say it is hard to see why some things are useful. In fact 90% of people only use 50% of any language, that is not many people try to learn it all because without context it is dry.

Pointers are really useful when you need them but I haven't needed them in all my arduino projects. A lot of effort is devoted to getting teams to work together successfully, that is the only way large projects can be done, but small projects on small machines don't need the same techniques.

As to the CNC, have you seen my conversion project?
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/CNC_Conversion.html

bebo

Thanks Mike, I don't feel like such a Dumas ( thats french for dumb ass).  That CNC conversion is pretty sweet, as well as the rest of the stuff on your site.  I saw the Hexome somewhere else recently...elegant. 
bird denigration is a crime

AWOL

The surname of the author of The Count of Monte Cristo is French for 'thick'?
Quelle horreur.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Go Up