Go Down

Topic: Power saving (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

sbright33

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find it.  I heard that the ATmega328 chip uses about 10-20ma when idle.  My Uno is drawing 150ma.  Can I turn off the USB port if my Sketch doesn't use it?  I've read how to get it from 10 down to 3ma or less.  I know about powering down and sleep modes.  That is not my concern.  I want to get down from 150ma to 10-20ma.  How do I do it?
If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

RuggedCircuits

What do you have hooked up to your Uno? Shields or other modules? It should not be drawing 150mA by itself unless something is wrong.

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

sbright33

No hardware is connected for this test.  But I was running a Sketch.  Let me run an empty one?
Using 8v battery pack with multimeter to measure current.
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

sbright33

With an empty sketch
void setup() {}
void loop() {}
it's still 150ma.  Nothing is connected.  What am I doing wrong?
At 12v the regulator gets hot.
At 8v it does not.
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

RuggedCircuits

I'm not sure if you're doing anything wrong or if your Uno is damaged. It should really only draw about 25mA or so. Is this a "name brand" Uno or something a bit more...sketchy? Are any other components on the board getting warm at 8V?

--
The Ruggeduino: compatible with Arduino UNO, 24V operation, all I/O's fused and protected

Go Up