Stages 3 - 5:1, 5:1, 4:1
Gear Material Steel
Speed : 230 rpm @ 12V
Amps @ nominal: 1.5 Amps
Efficiency: 45.33%
Peak Power: 0.55 hp
Stall current: 148 A
Stall torque: 9464 oz-in

q1 what are My consideration in selection of motor controller to use The stalled current which is extremely high 148 A , I basicly considering this motor controller sabertooth, 5 Ampere. Can this accomodate my motor?
Sabertooth 2x5A 6V-18V Regenerative Motor Driver.

, Or what are the alternative other than sabertooth

q2 if i ll use let say wheelchair motor 24 V. should i TAKE CONSIDERATION my microcontroller INPUT VOLTAGE, Arduino 2560, it has this feature,
Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V
Input Voltage (limits) 6-20V

What is the recommended input voltage, Is it the limit for my motor ? Sorry a bit difficult for me to comprehend electronic, as I am from mechanical

Stall current is also "starting current" - that is, a motor is at "stall" when it is not running; so for a short period at startup, you're going to see large currents. I would also say you are likely going to see large currents anyhow under a load (that 1.5 amp rating is likely under no load) - greater than that tiny 5 amp driver will handle.

What you need is a very large h-bridge - and those don't come cheap - look at the prices on these:

Something like this one would work OK:

http://www.roboteq.com/brushed-dc-motor-controllers/hdc2450-dual-150a-brushed-dc-motor-controller

You would want the 2450S version for a single motor (@ 300A) - the standard 2450 is for dual motors (@ 150A each) - Note that it costs $645.00 USD...

BTW - don't even think about building something like this motor controller; you'll end up spending more burning out FETs than if you just bought the above controller in the first place, unless you are an expert in large-scale h-bridge design.

Your only other (possible) hope would be to use large relay contactors to build an h-bridge (though you wouldn't have any speed control); such contactors aren't cheap, either...

Thanks for the input, ya i think i ll need to find better alternative in the motor insteat accomodate such a large stalled current, it is true that salled current is not critical in deciding motor controller as it just short period of time .

Do you guys know if i should connect the batterry to arduino 2460 or i connect to sabertooth, how the connection of the baterry

1. The motor stall current is indeed very high. However, depending on what you are trying to do and how heavy a load you are placing on the motor, you may be able to start the motor with a much lower current. So a lower current motor controller may suffice provided that it implements current limiting (i.e. it limits the motor current to within its own rating). On the other hand, if you can do this than you should probably be using a motor with a lower power rating.

2. You haven't said whether you need to turn the motor on and off only, or vary its speed, or reverse it. This make a big difference to the controller you need

3. If you want to use a 24v motor and 24v supply instead, then you can use a 7812 regulator to pre-regulate the voltage down to 12v for supplying the Arduino. A 24v motor of the same power and similar type will result in lower switching losses than a 12v motor.

it is true that salled current is not critical in deciding motor controller as it just short period of time .

No it is not true.
It only takes microseconds to blow up a semiconductor. You have to take measures to prevent this current from flowing in the first place, like a current limit circuit on the power supply. Then you have the problem of seeing if the motor will start at all with a limited inrush current.

such contactors aren't cheap, either...

Auto starter motor relays might do the job.

zoomkat:

such contactors aren't cheap, either...

Auto starter motor relays might do the job.

They actually might; you'd need four to make an h-bridge (they are SPST) - though I wonder what the current requirements of a starter relay is? Most of the time, they are switched by a smaller 12VDC automotive relay (Bosch); maybe some are switched by the keyswitch. I'd figure at least an amp or two, perhaps a bit more - within the bounds of a stout transistor or mosfet driver, probably.

The clicking and clacking might drive you batty though - starter relays are anything but quiet (also - I'm not sure if they are rated for continuous duty, so that might be an issue)...

:slight_smile:

The clicking and clacking might drive you batty though - starter relays are anything but quiet (also - I'm not sure if they are rated for continuous duty, so that might be an issue)...

Starting/stopping a 150a motor rapidly may also cause it to over heat quickly.