Go Down

Topic: Name for this type of button instance (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

liuzengqiang

So I'm updating my phi_buttons class to include the following elements:

1) rotary encoder up and down. I added a software button type. The button status is entirely supplied by calling a function attached to the button with attach_alt_sense(). I think "software button" sounds right. The entire logic (up-pressed-down-released) is generated by software based on either software algorithm or interpreting hardware different from tactile switches. What do you think of this name?

2) analog buttons on a series of resistors (YEAH!) and other buttons such as pressure sensor or thermistor, both resistive, or in general, a range of analog values that corresponds to a button. They create a true status and false status and may need debounce. If I have a function that just reads and converts these buttons into true/false and feed these to my phi_buttons class with the debounce, I don't have to re-write debounce for them any more. But what to call this type of buttons to be most descriptive? para_buttons? non_digital? digitized? analog buttons sound to narrow but I will use it if there is no better name there.

Need some help here. Thanks.
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

robtillaart

So these buttons hide "hardware" behaviour like bouncing thresholds etc. sounds good. names that came into my mind ...
- button     (keep it simple...)
- swbutton (
- ibutton    (i from ideal
- pbutton   (p from perfect
- _button    (nah)

just button still feels the best for me.

Can you post some code of how you implemented the rotary -> button?

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

liuzengqiang

So these buttons hide "hardware" behaviour like bouncing thresholds etc. sounds good. names that came into my mind ...
- button     (keep it simple...)
- swbutton (
- ibutton    (i from ideal
- pbutton   (p from perfect
- _button    (nah)

just button still feels the best for me.

Can you post some code of how you implemented the rotary -> button?

Thanks Rob. I will post my codes once I turn on my main computer.

liuzengqiang

So here is the code I worked out to turn rotary encoder up and down motions into two effective buttons for phi_buttons class or anything else if you care to adapt a few lines:

Code: [Select]
void initPins()
{
  pinMode(EncoderChnA, INPUT);
  digitalWrite(EncoderChnA, HIGH);
  pinMode(EncoderChnB, INPUT);
  digitalWrite(EncoderChnB, HIGH);
  pinMode(EncoderPress, INPUT);
  digitalWrite(EncoderPress, HIGH);
}

byte read_encoder(byte direction) // 1 for asking CW counts, -1 for asking CCW counts. 0 for asking click counts. 127 asking for absolute orientation. Returns counts and decrements the counts till 0.
{
  static byte stat_seq[]={3,2,0,1,3,2,0,1,3}; // For always on switches use {0,1,3,2,0,1,3,2,0};
  static byte stat_seq_ptr=4;
  static byte cw_counter=0;
  static byte ccw_counter=0;
  static byte click_counter=0;

byte stat_int=(digitalRead(EncoderChnB)<<1) | digitalRead(EncoderChnA);
  byte press = digitalRead(EncoderPress);
//  if (stat_int!=3) Serial.println(stat_int,DEC);
  if (stat_int==stat_seq[stat_seq_ptr+1])
  {
    stat_seq_ptr++;
    if (stat_seq_ptr==8)
    {
      stat_seq_ptr=4;
      cw_counter++;
    }
  }
  else if (stat_int==stat_seq[stat_seq_ptr-1])
  {
    stat_seq_ptr--;
    if (stat_seq_ptr==0)
    {
      stat_seq_ptr=4;
      ccw_counter++;
    }
  }
  if (direction==1)
  {
    if (cw_counter>0)
    {
      cw_counter--;
      return cw_counter+1;
    }
    else return 0;
  }

else if (direction==255)
  {
    if (ccw_counter>0)
    {
      ccw_counter--;
      return ccw_counter+1;
    }
    else return 0;
  }

else if (direction==127) return cw_counter-ccw_counter;

else if (direction==0)
  {
    if (click_counter>0)
    {
      click_counter--;
      return click_counter+1;
    }
    else return 0;
  }
  else return 0;
}

byte up_sense() // This function replaces the original mechanism in phi_buttons to sense a tactile button to sense a rotary encoder rotating CW
{
  byte ct;
  ct=read_encoder(1);
  if (ct>0) return buttons_released;
  else return buttons_up;
}

byte down_sense() // This function replaces the original mechanism in phi_buttons to sense a tactile button to sense a rotary encoder rotating CCW
{
  byte ct;
  ct=read_encoder(-1);
  if (ct>0) return buttons_released;
  else return buttons_up;
}

There are 4 functions.
The initPins sets all relevant pins to inputs and enables internal pull-ups.
The byte read_encoder(byte) simply reads and keeps record of the status of the rotary encoder and reports back a number depending on the input parameter. It could be used by the other two functions to create clicks or report orientation of the encoder shaft. I need to polish that part but up down are perfect.
The up_sense() and down_sense() generates appropriate "button" status depending on the read_encoder return.

Tested on a 12 detent encoder with no problem. I also modified my button library to take alternative sense function so I just create 2 software buttons and supply up_sense and down_sense to these buttons and I can scroll up and down a menu created in phi_prompt with the encoder.

Go Up