Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Sending data and event from Arduino to mobile phone  (Read 1785 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hello,
I'm a newbie and have no prior experience with arduino or microcontroller programming. For one of my course project, i need to send data/message/event from the arduino to my mobile phone (say android) via bluetooth as in the arduino board will have an external button/switch which when pressed should send an event to my application on android phone.

I did some googling and found Arduino BT and amarino as the right option for my project. And then there is BTShield v1.1 which is a cheap alternative (but i'm not sure about the interfacing). having said that, can anyone plz give me some pointers on the bluetooth programming part & some example codes on how to do this. Also, is it possible to embed a button/switch like stuff on the arduino board and as & when pressed, would it be possible for my android application to detect that press event?

please help.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:00:02 am by pushkarpandey27 » Logged

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

would it be possible for my android application to detect that press event?
Nor directly. The Arduino can detect the switch press event, and can send a message (via BT, it you can get that working) to the phone.

which is a cheap alternative
Cheap is rarely a good thing. The Mega ADK was specifically designed to communicate with android devices. Not cheap, but it is supposed to work. No personal experience, though.

Pakistan
Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.
View Profile

Using BT is must???? OR you just want to send data to your mobile by any means??? Bcuz t have used GSM module for this purpose which worked very nicely for this purpose..

Saad Khalil

View Profile

Using BT is must???? OR you just want to send data to your mobile by any means???
No, using BT is not mandatory. I just want to send data to mobile by any means but it should be convenient to the user and to me, BT sounded the most convenient way. Actually we are trying to build the protoype or proof of concept using cheap products. In ideal scenario a user can initiate his smartphone app using his BT enabled wrist-watch or Bluetooth bracelet etc. We are also trying to explore the possibilities of using bluetooth headsets for this purpose, but all such alternatives sounds a bit tedious to me, considering the fact that not much example codes are available on the web.

Bcuz t have used GSM module for this purpose which worked very nicely for this purpose..
I'm not sure whether the GSM module will be an appropriate prototype. But thanks anyways for the advice. :-)

Pakistan
Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.
View Profile

hmmm.. i think BT is better than  smiley-wink

Saad Khalil

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Better than what?

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Harlow, Essex, UK
View Profile

Does it have to be Bluetooth and does it have to be an Android phone ?

If you have a web connected Arduino, such as the Arduino Ethernet or an Arduino Uno with Ethernet shield you can send a message to ANY registered iPhone.

This is very simple to do and using PHP and Prowl (http://www.prowlapp.com/).  Using this you can send different messages to an iPhone depending on what input comes into the Arduino.  ie different push notifications for different switch inputs.

I have this in my home, so when my house alarm goes off, I get a instant push notification on my iPhone.

If it is to prove a concept of operation, this would be an easy method.

Another would be to use an email gateway to send a text to your mobile.  This depends on what carriers are being used etc though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: