when I breadboard the circuit using just the IC everything works well,
It is always wise to test continuity in a circuit _before_ applying power.
Except when its an LED burning, they give off poisonous fumes containing arsenic.
So you have answered your own question. The circuit design is fine, you have just wired it up wrong.
Have you tried measuring the voltages directly on the pins of the IC?
For now I would just bypass the regulator setup and just use the 5volt from the board.
So a PCB layout and maybe a photo of what you have would help us to see what is wrong.