Go Down

Topic: Wireless USB Question (Read 752 times) previous topic - next topic

peterpan

I want to make my keyboard wireless. Can't I just cut my USB cable in half, connect and Xbee to both halfs, and send the data wirelessly from one half to another?

Why can't it be as simple as this?
'
I understand the computer needs to recognize the USB device somehow, anyway to make this happen? I am willing to pay for a chip that can do this.

PaulS

Can't I just cut my USB cable in half, connect and Xbee to both halfs, and send the data wirelessly from one half to another?

Sure. If you know which wires to connect to which pins, and how to configure the XBees.

I am willing to pay for a chip that can do this.

But not a wireless keyboard?

Two XBees plus XBee breakout boards plus batteries plus hassle are going to be far more expensive than a wireless keyboard that you know will work out-of-the-box.

What is the Arduino going to be doing? Cheerleading? This is, after all, an Arduino forum. The Arduino must be doing something besides listening to you whining.
Why can't it be as simple as this?

sbright33

As you know, Paul, it is not simply a matter of connecting the proper USB wires to the correct pin on the XBee.

Be nice!
If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

PaulS

As you know, Paul, it is not simply a matter of connecting the proper USB wires to the correct pin on the XBee.

It can be. The XBees are more than just radios.

terryking228

'More Than' would have to include being a USB host in one and a USB HID in the other.  NONtrivial...
Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

darksnow

It can be. The XBees are more than just radios.

Do you ever give out any advice or do you just give out sarcastic nonsense on this forum?

peterpan

The Arduino will be on both ends of the wire sending and receiving the signals to/from the xbees from and to both ends of the wire?

I am doing this with a special keyboard, they don't make a wireless version or I'd have no problem buying one.

Go Up