the pc board is designed and pre-production samples have been ordered.
the first collaborative effort between myself (linuxworks) and AMB labs (known for his DIY audiophile designs and projects):http://www.flickr.com/photos/linux-works/3939835161/
- i2c controlled (saves pins on the main arduino)
- compact design (same exact form factor as 2x16 display)
- scratchpad proto hole area (plated thru .1-spaced holes)
- realtime clock chip (ds1302) with supercap backup
- high quality double layer ground-planed pc board
- 6pin header for FTDI serial/usb cable
- breakout pads for all the digital and analog ard. pins
- power and pin-13 leds
- reset switch
- pin assignment and headers for IR-remote sensor
- pin also assigned for pwm-based lcd backlight
- contrast pot for lcd onboard
we expect to get our first samples in about a week. I've also ordered all the parts for these (to build about 20 of them) and am planning on doing a small beta-test run with full and partial kits (including board-only kits).