Go Down

Topic: TLC5940 + 9x RGB SMD 5050 LED Strip (Read 114 times) previous topic - next topic

daveyw

Dec 12, 2014, 12:34 am Last Edit: Dec 12, 2014, 12:35 am by daveyw
Hello,

I currently have a Arduino Uno since a few weeks and its running 1 RGB LED SMD 5050 5meter strip without any problems. Fading slowly colors.

I would like to do something new and since I'm almost new I would like if its possible to do;

On each table I would make 50cm RGB SMD5050 LED Strip. And I want each table separate colors, slowly fading.

As far as I found I guess I need to TLC5940 for it, because each strip needs 4 cables (1x 12V and R, G, B).

Does someone has already something like this or not and may can help me?

Kind Regards,
Dave

PaulRB

Dec 12, 2014, 02:39 pm Last Edit: Dec 12, 2014, 02:42 pm by PaulRB
Hi, there is a much easier way. Have a look at ws2812b rgb led strips. They are more expensive, but perhaps when you consider the cost of your tlc chip, plus other components, circuit boards and your time and effort, the cost will not be very different.

The ws2812b strips can be connected directly to the Arduino without the need for other chips. They run on 5V (not 12V) and you will need around 3.5A for each metre (assuming 60 leds/m). You can run the Arduino from the 5V supply also.

The other big advantage of the ws2812b is that you can control each leds colour and brightness independantly, allowing more interesting patterns and animations.

Paul

daveyw

Hello PaulRB,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I understand, but since I got already about 5-6 strips from 5M RGB SMD 5050 I would like to use them.
It will placed under the tables, so independently is not needed for me.

I will use from other places LPD6803 5m strip for independently.

The only thing I would like is each table a strip of +/- 50 cm (9 tables total) and then each table randomly colors. And if wanted all tables 1 specific color.

Regards,
Dave

Grumpy_Mike

The problem with the TLC5940 is that you will not be able to drive the LED strips directly. This means that you will also need some form of current control in effect throwing away the constant current circuits in the chip.

Therefore you will need a driver. What makes it more complex is that you will need a non inverting driver, so that means a two stage driver. Sure you can do it but it is messy, the ws2812b is a game changer with regard to LED projects.

Does someone has already something like this
Yes some one posted a circuit about three years ago that looked plausible. Do some searching of this forum.

Go Up