Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Where do I start learning C for the Arduino?  (Read 694 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Where do I start learning C for the Arduino?

Youtube videos?
Books?
Version?
Free compilers for the PC?
Tutorials?
Other?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Work thru Learning section and tutorials.

Also try projects like found in here
http://www.earthshineelectronics.com/files/ASKManualRev5.pdf

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Boston Suburbs
God Member
I am above your silly so-called "Laws", Mister Ohm.
View Profile

One of the best ways is to open some of Examples in the IDE.  Start with "blink", which is just about the most basic Arduino program that actually does something (blink the LED connected to digital 13).

The syntax of C can take a little getting used to- all those curly braces and such don't make things particularly easy to just read, especially if there's things like nested and conditional loops, etc.

Reading through a few of the examples.. real programs, basic as they are.. can give you a feel of the basic structure, it's a good way to see that what you need to learn isn't as daunting as it looks at first.  From there, I'm also still a fan of paper when it comes to reference materials at times, and O'Reilly really is the go-to source for programming references, IMO.

Here's one that may be good:  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781565923065.do

I'd recommend pretty much anything they carry, you are going to want to keep it to the C/C++ books rather the MFC and other topics.  The pocket reference actually looks tempting to me, now that I'm looking at it...

I think the one on the last page may be too much, though it specifically is for embedded design.. you are going to be far better off for quite some time to get a good foundation rather than super in-depth structure analysis.  Though there are a ton of folks doing projects that prove you can write huge applications for embedded processors like Arduino, the real fact is that Arduino programs are generally fairly simple, small, and to the point.  Thousand-line programs just don't happen with Arduino very often, most are tens of lines, a couple hundred in extreme cases.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:50:26 pm by focalist » Logged

When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: