Go Down

Topic: Music to vibration (Read 971 times) previous topic - next topic

kakotes

Hello,

I'm new to Arduino and I am currently trying to make a device that turns music from an mp3 player into vibrations (using small vibrating motors, about 5 of them, one for each frequency range), according to the different frequency ranges and their intensities (kinda like a spectrum analyzer, but with fewer frequency ranges). I've already connected an mp3 player to the arduino using the following circuit to get a ~2.5 V DC offset:
                        + 5V
                           |
                           <
                           > 10k
                           <
             220 uF     |
mp3-------) |---------------- Arduino A0
                           |
                           <
                           > 10k
                           <
                           |
                         Gnd

My questions are:
1. On the 0-1023 input range, the values go from around 490 to 530. Should I amplify the signal before feeding it to the arduino? If so, what circuit do you recommend?
2. How would I implement an FFT algorithm to get the intensity of each frequency range? I already tried elmchan's fft library but I can't get it to work.
3. I'm thinking about using PWM to control the vibration motors. Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

winner10920

If you are not against adding an ic, look into msgeq7
I haven't gotten to play with one, still shipping but it is basically a spectrum analyzer that outputs a multiplexed voltage for 7 channels of frequency
I think it would simplify your project to have an ic do all the hard work, you would just poll it for data and read that
like say use just 5  channels control 5 vibrator circuits directly, if pwm does work then map the analog 0/1023 to 0/255 for a simple solution
im planning on using it for a light orchestra sort of deal for a car, having leds go off in the sub for low frequencys, mid to mod range speaker and highs to my tweeter lights, I will probably map it to getbthe brightnesss according
here's the sparkfun page
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10024
They have it retired but I bought 5 brand new for 8.99 off ebay including shipping

kakotes

That's a great ideia, hadn't thought of that. Just one more question: if i plug the msgeq7 output to arduino analog input, what kind of values would i be getting on the arduino and how would i use them to get the different frequency ranges?

Thanks for the reply!

kakotes

I've found a site that explains pretty much everything ^^
http://skoba.no-ip.org/msgeq7/index.html

Thanks a lot for your reply, winner10920, it really helped me! :)

trigonometry

Hello!
I am working on a similar project. The link on the last reply is broken... does anyone have a cache or know of where that information can be found?
Thanks

winner10920

if i helps here is some of my code from my projects, not commented perfectly but it should help you play around with it

rickso234

That link didn't work, but this (may be the same page) appears to work...
http://nuewire.com/info-archive/msgeq7-by-j-skoba/

jroorda

I suspect you may be going with the msgeq7, as it is a great fit for this application, but I hate to leave a good question unanswered. 

To get a good amount of resolution using the analog inputs on the Arduino you definitely want to amplify the signal. I did a project like this last year and I just used a fairly normal op amp.  I can look up the exact model if you want.  It was special in that it could run from one supply +5V instead  of +5 and -5V and drive close to either rail.  I think I amplified by about 10 to 20 times and I biased the center of the signal up to 2.5V.  If you don't do this you will get lots of distortion as half of the wave is below 0 on the ADC not to mention the op amp.

From there I would use the FHT library to do a 5 bin FFT and from there all you need to do is control the motors. 

Go Up