Go Down

Topic: How to wire up LM386 amp for audio? (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic

Runaway Pancake

Oct 23, 2011, 04:33 pm Last Edit: Oct 23, 2011, 06:16 pm by runaway_pancake Reason: 1
I think that all you can really do is minimise distortion, you should avoid "overdriving" (clipping.)  You may have a portable radio and with fresh batteries at low and medium volumes it's OK, but when you really turn it up it starts sounding crummy - some of that's distortion, over-amplification, and some of it is just exposing certain limitations of the amplifier.

This sort of electronic sound, derived from a noise generator or noise generation techniques, isn't instrument-quality.  It sounds pretty nifty at low volumes, but there's a threshold whereat all of the faults can be appreciated. 

Anyway, the LM386 datasheet shows a X50 example.  It still uses the 10uF but with a 1200Ω resistor between it and pin1.  There is also a "bypass" capacitor that can be connected between pin7 and GND.  They don't give much guidance, text and example values from 0.1 - 10uF.
"When using the LM386 with higher gains (bypassing the 1.35 kΩ resistor between pins 1 and 8 ) it is necessary to bypass the unused input, preventing degradation of gain and possible instabilities. This is done with a 0.1 µF capacitor or a short to ground depending on the dc source resistance on the driven input."

Post Edit -- bonk inadvertent smiley
"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

justjed

in my diagram.. all pins 'are' labled.... can you not see them?  everything is labeled.. (except a missing 'to GND' lable)

He means functional labels, such as GND, SIGNAL, GAIN, etc.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

xl97

@justjed-

ahh..thanks.  I suppose that WOULD help people follow the diagram easier.  (I can make changes...np)

here is updated diagram...

showing a legend for PIN-OUT on the lm386 and the 10uF cap added for GAIN

@runaway_pancake-

some of it makes sense.. like over-driving.. makes the audio go 'crap' (clipping/distortion)

Im trying tp understand what it is I shoudl do from your comments..

1.) add a 1.2k resistor to the 10uF cap I added to the GAIN... yes?   (does it matter what side I put it on? +  or - side of the cap?)

2.) add a 0.1uF cap to pin 7 (bypass pin) to GND...

correct?

anyone care to help educate me about how to define or figure out anything about the signal BEFORE it goes to the amp/LM386?
was a comment about signal integrity BEFORE it goes there..  but I wouldnt have any clue on that.

a quick background on the sound INPUT (SND out from the PIC chip)..

I am using a PIC24FJ chip.. flashed with an API of some sorts to let noobs write generic code based on the API/instruction set.. (this 'code goes on .txt file on SD card..which is then loaded into the PIC chip upon powering it up)..

this is not mine.. I have no control over it..

however it has an EASY API to use..for doing simple things like PWM and playing audio..etc..  ( a very simple and generic platform)..

the PIC chip itself.. (somehow)  outputs Audio on its set pin(s)... this is what I am trying to use/tap so I can output to a speaker..etc..

anyways.. thanks you guys for the replies so far.. and understanding that not everyone has the skill sets you may have become accustomed to!  =)

CrossRoads

I was thinking more of posting a schematic.  This is much easier to see what is happening electrically.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Runaway Pancake

1.) add a 1.2k resistor to the 10uF cap I added to the GAIN... yes?   (does it matter what side I put it on? +  or - side of the cap?)
I don't think it matters, but they show it between pin1 and Cap+, Cap- going to pin8.

2.) add a 0.1uF cap to pin 7 (bypass pin) to GND...
"Experiment for value", try various cap values, one lead to pin7 and the other to GND.  If it has a good effect then use it, if it makes things worse or has no effect then lose it.
"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

Go Up