Go Down

Topic: I need a computer engineer (Read 670 times) previous topic - next topic

Sean Murphy

I have a very small college research paper coming up for my Foundations of Engineering class, and I am in need of an "interview" with a computer engineer (or someone with a job applicable to computer engineers). This interview can take place virtually, so I am hoping that someone can stumble across this thread and answer a question or two for me.

Why did you become a computer engineer?
Why did you choose this job?
What is the main thing about CE that makes it separate from other engineering?
What is something interesting about CE?
Anything else that you want to add...?

You don't have to answer all. I just need a little something.
Also, please include your name.
Thank you very much!!!

Coding Badly

Is that a "Computer Engineer" by the Texas definition or by the definition used in the rest of the United States?

a.d

Is that a "Computer Engineer" by the Texas definition or by the definition used in the rest of the United States?

Do they differ?

justjed

Oct 22, 2011, 10:42 pm Last Edit: Oct 22, 2011, 11:08 pm by justjed Reason: 1

I don't know what the Texas definition is either. Maybe you need a big hat? :)

For that matter, 'computer engineer' is pretty tough to nail down. I know people who are 'real' engineers -- defined by having passed the requisite certification tests and are licensed, who look sideways at the term 'engineer' applied to most computing disciplines. Whether they have a valid gripe, I don't know, but I'm generally of the opinion that words have meanings, in some cases more narrow than others, and when we stop honoring that, then we lose some descriptive ability.

I'm wondering what's covered in a 'Foundations of Engineering' course. I don't at all disparage, for example, writing accounting apps in MicroFocus COBOL. But it isn't engineering.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Coding Badly

Do they differ?

Yes.  To put "engineer" in your title requires a license.  As far as I know, Texas is the only state to have that requirement for "Software Engineer".

Maybe you need a big hat?

...and lots of cattle.

Go Up