Go Down

Topic: A biginners question (Read 860 times) previous topic - next topic

mattwaab

Hey,

I am new to Arduino and have a question. I am working on a project to take a white board that we use at work, and replace all the "fill in the blanks" with led numbers/text. From the research I have done, this is def doable with Ardrino, but thats about as far as I've gotten.

What I really need to know before I start on this project is weather there is an effective way to run multiple seven-segment displays (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-segment_display) or if they all have to be run individual. If there is a way to do this, could someone point me in the correct direction, as I have spent some time researching this and found little help. I don't know if its just because I'm new at this and don't know where to look, or if it is just not as easy as I had hoped.

Also, when I first started brainstorming this project I had the idea to use the old-schoolish split-flap modules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-flap_display) but could not find anywhere to purchase the individual modules. Does anyone know where I could pick some of these up?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Mattwaab

bubulindo

Multiplexing, latches, shift registers... and a bit of imagination. :)
Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

eddiea6987

I remember that giant split flap board at Penn Station new york, i loved just watching the thing do its thing , i have never come across those for sale but sounds like more work then simple leds/led displays.
I could print the Arduino logo on a box of cereal and sell it as "Arduin-O's"

Magician

Arduino can drive directly 4 7-segments, look in playground-outputs for library.

winner10920

Look into a max7219
it does all the multiplexing work for you and can control 8 7segment displays
and it uses spi so you can have as many chips as chip select pins you have available

CrossRoads

You need something like this?
add two more digits, and you have the equivalent of what a MAX7219/7221 does, with the multiplexing control moved back into the arduino and the current limiting done externally. 
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up