Go Down

Topic: Storing Strings in EEPROM from Serial Input Example (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

quarterturn

Here is a short example demonstrating taking serial string input and storing and retrieving to and from EEPROM. This is done using EEMEM and <avr.eeprom.h>. I also demonstrate using PSTR-like functionality to keep serial response strings in flash but "print" them to serial directly, without copying them into a temp array using PROGMEM.

For brevity and laziness, I define three separate EEMEM strings and select them via a case statement. I am not sure though EEMEM will handle the pointer to pointer setup you'd need to fetch the start address of the char array inside another array. Anyone try it? Also, I have seen many examples using structs. I should try that too, but held off since I have to look into whether you have to copy the whole thing into RAM or can just copy a specific member of the struct.

Here's the code: (it wouldn't fit here)
https://github.com/quarterturn/serialMultiMessages

I hope this is helpful. Comments are appreciated.

AWOL

You've declared EEPROM_BYTES as 1024, but a 168 has only 512 bytes of EEPROM, and a MEGA2560 has 4096 bytes.
This would be better defined this value using one of the processor-specific predefines
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

quarterturn

Thanks for the reply. I've never used predefines but here's an example:

CPU Type and How to Determine Arduino Bord

According to selected target processor, compiler defined constant by processor name.
Constant    CPU    Board
__AVR_ATmega168__    ATmega 168    Arduino Decimilia and older
__AVR_ATmega328P__    ATmega 328P    Arduino Duemilanove and Uno
__AVR_ATmega1280__    ATmega 1280    Arduino Mega
__AVR_ATmega2560__    ATmega 2560    Arduino Mega 2560

So by testing of these constants you can determine board type. For example:

#if not (defined(__AVR_ATmega2560__) || defined(__AVR_ATmega1280__))
    #error Sorry dude, this program works only on Arduino Mega
#endif

Coding Badly

Change...

#define EEPROM_BYTES 1024

...to...

#define EEPROM_BYTES (E2END+1)

Problem solved.

quarterturn

Further thoughts on storing data in EEPROM as a struct...

The example given here: http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=38417&start=220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

is pretty good in that it uses <avr/eeprom.h> and does not require you to reference a memory address when storing/retrieving data. The downside is that you have to copy the whole struct from EEPROM into RAM, which isn't so good for storing and retrieving strings. There must be a way to dereference one value at a time from EEPROM into RAM though.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy