Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Good Intermediate Books  (Read 1777 times)
South Africa
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi

I am a first year Informatics student in South Africa. We do quite a bit of coding in my course but no electronics what so ever. I have mostly been teaching myself electronics through things like MIT OCW etc. These are really useful but I am looking for something more Arduino based, I want to understand more about the board itself, and how everything works (software included, I am still first year  smiley-wink ). I've Googled some and checked out the ones recommended in the Playground but I'm still unsure, when ever I read the reviews or table of contents they don't seem to target exactly what I am looking for, or the reviews are just people complaining about picture quality and nothing helpful!

So far I have ordered Physical Computing by Tom Igoe and Dan O'Sullivane.
Any ideas? Even advanced books are welcome too.   

Thanks guys!

South Africa
View Profile

Thought I'd just post what I am getting here in case any one else is interested in the same thing.

Arduino Internals is what I am going to get along with Physical Computing . Arduino Internals only comes out at the end of the month, but for the description it looks like it is aimed at exactly what I am looking for! smiley

Topsham, Vermont USA
Edison Member
... in The Woods In Vermont
View Profile

Hi Greg,

My list of books is not sorted into levels (Although beginners are noted): http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Arduino-Books

Send me a PM or email; I may have something for you...

What hands-on Arduino and Electronics stuff do you have?  Can you suggest books to your school's library?

Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

South Africa
View Profile

Thanks for the reply Terry!

I have one Duemilanove, an Uno, a few breadboards, mutli meter, soldering tools, couple of sensors motors and a lot of small components such as resistors, opto-triacs, buttons H- bridges, LEDs etc.

Thanks for that list! Really helpful to those new to the Arduino world!

I doubt whether I could suggest books to the uni (Some of these academics are a bit bureaucratic!), but what I am trying to do is get a couple of the Com Sci, Mechatronic, EE and Informatics students together to start a Algorithm Circle/ Think Tank group together where we can help each other out and share the costs of some bigger Arduino projects. I think some of the books in your list will give us a great start because so far none of us are overwhelmingly experienced, we have just done simple projects like line followers, and I have built a few things for my camera and currently working on a mock seg-way. So nothing too extreme. Yet  smiley-wink.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: