Go Down

Topic: New library - WAKEUP (Read 968 times) previous topic - next topic

andrewr123

Hi

I'm in the process of developing a home automation project that is as event-driven as possible.  So interrupt-handling wins out over polling, testing millis() regularly is equivalent to polling, and delay() is definitely not a preferred approach.

However, many devices need time to stabilise between initiating a read and the value being available.  The Dallas temperature sensors are the obvious example, but I'm sure there are others.

So what I needed was a way to initiate a read and then return a certain time later to capture the value.
The result is a library I've called WAKEUP that allows multiple 'sleeper' functions to be woken after a specified interval, allowing the main program to get on with other things in the meantime.  This enables   a crude form of co-operative processing or 'protothreading'.   

I'm a newbie when it comes to libraries and have doubtless made some elementary mistakes, although I have tested it pretty thoroughly (on a Mega).  However, I'd appreciate some more experienced eyes on the code.  After several false starts I've managed to create a project on google, so you can find the code here:

http://code.google.com/p/arduino-ha/

Haven't managed to master the creation of a nicely structured download (sorry!), but if you go to source > browse and download everything under trunk > libs that should get you started.  It includes a modified version of Timer1, already discussed with Lex at http://code.google.com/p/arduino-timerone/ and the following examples:

- Multi_timer - series of examples making use of the library
- Dallas_temperature - an example showing how to return to pick up reading 750ms after initiating it
- Calibration - done as an exercise to figure out the right value to compensate for code lag

All comments appreciated.  Many thanks in advance

- Andrew

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy