Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Creating DIY Ardino's  (Read 7444 times)
Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I did this a while ago and the prices are probably different now but you can see that shopping at dipmicro.com is pretty good deal. To save shipping, you can order everything from dipmicro. They now have atmega328p and 16MHz crystal. I'm gonna update that list when I have time.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Their '328 price is high tho. $5.38 for 10, vs $3.31, $3.25 for 10.
I would (and have before) get the rest there.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

Is there any kit-building/parts advantage to owning an FTDI cable or FTDI Friend as opposed to an UNO?

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

God Member
View Profile

Just curious... Does that kit come with the 168 or the 328? Cause the PCB shows 168.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Is there any kit-building/parts advantage to owning an FTDI cable or FTDI Friend as opposed to an UNO?

Sure, it moves the USB-to-serial functionality off the board, where it normally just sits there unless it's being programmed. So fewer parts on the MCU board to consume space, power, and money. Don't get me wrong, I love the Uno, it's got a lot going for it, I still use them, but as I've gained experience, I find I have all I need. Most of what I do now is either with less-expensive clones, breadboards, or custom PC boards, all programmed with an FTDI Friend or an ICSP programmer (AFI's USBtinyISP works great for me).

Side note: The USB-to-serial functionality on the Uno is actually provided by a second Atmel microcontroller, an ATmega8U2. Earlier versions, e.g. the Duemilanove, used the same FTDI chip.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

RBBB:
"Specifications
 •2.1mm power jack
•Arduino Diecimila bootloader
•ATmega328 Chip"

I have a couple of FTDI Basic's, I use them all them to download sketches into standalone boards.  No messing around with string a bunch of wires to an Arduino - just plug it onto 6 pins & go.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

God Member
View Profile

RBBB:
"Specifications
 •2.1mm power jack
•Arduino Diecimila bootloader
•ATmega328 Chip"

I have a couple of FTDI Basic's, I use them all them to download sketches into standalone boards.  No messing around with string a bunch of wires to an Arduino - just plug it onto 6 pins & go.
I could just update the bootloader, correct?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yes.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Yes.
And done before on my RBBB. Their webpage never updated. The chip included is 328p and bootloader is duemilanove. Use westfw's UNO bootloader. It's the most recent update.

CrossRoads, if you just buy a few, you offset the "high" price of 328p at dipmicro by shopping one stop there with only one shipping charge. Typical shipping charge is around $4 everywhere. If you buy more, then get the chips at digi-key and the rest at dipmicro.

View Profile

This is my DIY "arduino", although is little more than a breaduino on a PCB

EDuino

I designed the PCB to be very very easy to do at home.

Someone posted on the EDuino comments a link to a list of arduino "compatible" boards:

http://jmsarduino.blogspot.com/2009/03/comprehensive-arduino-compatible.html

New Hampshire
God Member
There are 10 kinds of people, those who know binary, and those who don't.
View Profile

Could always fake your way into a Mega:
Schmartboard $10
ATmega2560  $12.86
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Atmel/ATmega2560-16AU/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtkfMPOFRTOl4TPj%252bk4h3O1
(shop around)
xtal, 22 pf caps, 100nF caps, 10K resistor - <$1, dip micro.com
header pins - depends on your needs.
Learning experience: priceless.

Wire it up like a bare-minimum arrduino.

Oo!  I like the looks of those Schmartboards.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yeah, I'm waiting to have a little time to try the Schmartboard approachout.

View Profile

If your project is small enough you can always use the Attiny85, only $2.50 each.  http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/10/how-to-shrinkify-your-arduino-projects.html
I just ordered 10 of them.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

How's that for a big change! From 100 pin ATMega2560 down to 8 pin ATTiny ....

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

If your project is small enough you can always use the Attiny85, only $2.50 each ... I just ordered 10 of them.

For 2¢ you can add several more I/O pins...
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Atmel/ATTINY84-20PU/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvu0Nwh4cA1wWOTyEEt7ZwX5FleBit6new%3d

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: