Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Author Topic: Creating DIY Ardino's  (Read 6067 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I would rather just use a 5V regulated wallwart switching suppy, skip the 7805 and all that  heat.
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/DCA-0510
Lot of accessories?
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/DCA-0520

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
"Keep it R.E.I.L. - "Research, Experiment, Investigate and Learn"
View Profile

That is a good idea for a PSU. I will keep that in mind. ( I will shop locally to see if they have it - SAYAL Electronics )

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

dipmicro is just over by Niagara Falls, with really cheap shipping costs.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

dipmicro is just over by Niagara Falls, with really cheap shipping costs.

They are located in Canada and bring US destination packages into US to ship so if you are in either US or Canada, you will save on shipping. I ship to Canada once in a while, it's not cheap for those packages to cross that boarder by themselves. Dipmicro has everything at incredibly low price, except that they don't have bootloaded ATMEGA328P. The store owner must be a PIC guy, lots of PIC's.

Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
View Profile

To bad about Dipmicro not having bootloaded ATMega328P. I order mine at http://www.hvwtech.com/products_list.asp?CatID=90&SubCatID=266&SubSubCatID=274. The chips work fine. I also order my FTDI and USB mini from them. They also carry the 28 pin ZIP, that I will use in my homemade board to program the Arduino chips with the sketches.  It take a week to received the items from them. ( Calgary - Toronto ) @ $10 shipping cost.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Easy to bootload blank chips with westwf's optiload program tho. I stocked up some last time Newark had low prices.
Currently $3.42 for 10.
$3.31 for 10 at Mouser
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Atmel/ATMEGA328P-PU/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtVoztFdqDXO6rEZqxeooRg
$5.50 for 1 seems high.

So even in Canada, the Tech resellers are consolidating:
"In 2007, HVW Technologies was purchased by Solarbotics Ltd., another Calgary-based electronics company specializing in hobby robotics. Both companies are now operating out of the same facility under different banners, but the same, excellent Solarbotics Ltd. infrastructure!"

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

They also carry the 28 pin ZIP

So you meant DIP or ZIF? smiley-wink

View Profile

Quote from: Techone
I check your site, Nice work by the way.
Thanks Techone!

Quote from: Techone
You say you can not use an auto-reset feature when your program the Arduino using the RS-232. (...)

Well, that's not what I say smiley. What I say is that the board published there doesn't support the auto-reset feature. Meanwhile, in my board I have actually soldered a cap and resistor to add it (since the bootloader shorted the start time, it became very difficult to do the manual reset at the right moment).

A breaduino is, of course, the simplest of the Arduinos; but even if you can use it a final product, the breadboard is much more expensive than, say, an EDuino PCB, and doesn't provide not even nearly the same reliability. You can build breaduinos on protoboards - same reliability just a bit bigger.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Easy to bootload blank chips with westwf's optiload program tho. I stocked up some last time Newark had low prices.
Currently $3.42 for 10.
$3.31 for 10 at Mouser
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Atmel/ATMEGA328P-PU/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtVoztFdqDXO6rEZqxeooRg
$5.50 for 1 seems high.

If you live in US-midwest and don't mind getting 25 of them:

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/ATMEGA328P-PU/ATMEGA328P-PU-ND/1914589

$3.12 each for 25 pcs.

Even cheaper. The 25 that I bought, which seems to take forever to use up, did not last very long. They all got their phi-panel firmwares and were shipped out. Only 5 are left. Besides westfw's optiloader, I also recommend xloader to upload hex sketches. Way faster than arduino IDE and compact size. Perfect for in the field reloading sketches or firmeware updates, which is what I do with it.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

liudr,
Can you supply some more xloader details?

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

liudr,
Can you supply some more xloader details?

Just the last 3 lines:

http://code.google.com/p/phi-panel/wiki/updateFirmware

Very nice small program. 100% success rate for loading hex codes so far.

Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
View Profile

@liudr

Quote from: Techone on December 11, 2011, 01:36:46 PM
They also carry the 28 pin ZIP

So you meant DIP or ZIF? 

I mean ZIF. I got confuse, sorry that I say ZIP.  A ZIF is perfect for quick program and insert/remove of the chip. 

View Profile

@Njay

I check your site, Nice work by the way. You say you can not use an auto-reset feature when your program the Arduino using the RS-232.  Well you can !   It the DTR line... connect in serie a cap of 0.1 uF between DTR and the Reset of the Ardiuno. Program the ATMega328, and it will program just fine, and it will auto-reset. (...)

Hi! Do I say that? I have to check then, because I do have the cap (and a current limiting resistor) as an add-on on my RS-232 converter board and use it to auto-reset smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Jump to: