Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The IP address will be dependent on your local network  (Read 939 times)
Italy
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

This phrase:

"The IP address will be dependent on your local network"

is in almost all of the examples of using and Arduino with ethernet.

If I have a router in my own home where do I get and/or set the ip address?

If I am planning the system to work in a company do I ask the computer administrator for this data?

(The final result is that I'd like to send email from the Arduino.)

Owen F. Ransen

Sussex UK / CT USA
Edison Member
Forums forever
View Profile

There are two "IP addresses" you have to concern yourself with, assuming that you want your device to be "visible" from computers outside your LAN, out there on the internet.

a) The "local" address... the address of your server/ whathaveyou, your Arduino-connected-to-the-LAN. That will usually start 192.168.... and must be set to something nothing else on your LAN is using. That is your device's address, and that's all you need to "talk" with it across the LAN.

---
If you're sending or receiving "stuff" beyond the LAN, then the "stuff" carries a "return address"... the address of your LAN's connection to "the internet", as seen from outside your LAN. If your router has a "static IP address"... big company, university, etc... then a number will do. Home users rarely have static IP addresses. (And will know from their (high) bill, if they do.) They need to use a domain name and DYNDNS.

All explained more carefully at Arduserver.com

Italy
View Profile

There are two "IP addresses" you have to concern yourself with...
All explained more carefully at Arduserver.com

Many thanks for the info and the link.

smiley

Owen F. Ransen

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: