Go Down

Topic: How to make a cool Halloween Hand Sensor! (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

jmeyer2k

Here's a vid that I made on how to make a pumpkin that senses if a person puts there hand in based on the capacitance of the person's hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vHBQ-ElZo&list=PL953CB22D4A1A9C4B

Big Oil

It looks good.  If you use a free program called 'fritzing' you can draw a schematic of the breadboard and wires so that it's easier to see.  It gave me an idea for something to sense if someone taking too much candy from a bowl, that is, they are reaching their hand into the bowl too many times. 
Nice job. 

Jorh

Yeah, it's a bit late for halloween, but I'm sure this kind of capacitance has plenty of off-season uses.

Anyways, I gotta comment a little bit on your tutorial itself. You didn't quite deliver as good as you could. I could tell that you hadn't practiced. I haven't given many tutorials, but I've looked at plenty of videos of electronics and tutorials. I'd put the camera (or another camera) pointed almost square at the bread board for a closer view (then you don't have to lift it up). I'd make sure to give a name to the pins. Like the sensor pin and the PWM pin if we're using one of each. Also, I'd have a longer wire in the pumpkin. I'd also write out a script and and hang it up (like a teleprompter lol). You could also watch a couple other tutorials to get a feel for tutoring right before you shoot.

Oh, I just thought of a legitimate use for this. At some points, when I was handing out candy, certain kids would like to dig in there forever to find exactly what they want. I can use a capacitance sensor next year to make my candy bowl growl if it senses a hand for more than 20-30 seconds. That'll be cool.

Anyways, I don't mean to be too critical of your video. You did a good job on your pumpkin.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy