Go Down

Topic: Help Determining Capacitor Values (Read 3631 times) previous topic - next topic

macharborguy

I recently purchased a collection of assorted electrical components, but I am having a hard time figuring out the values for some of the non-cylinder capacitors.

I have 3 variety of disc capacitors.
- One has "103" printed on it, nothing more.  It is also the physically largest disc capacitor in the bunch.
- The second type has the following printed across 3 lines: "Y5P", "471K", "KCK"
- the third has two lines, ".0015K", "X5F"

There is also a mess of Metal film and Polyester film capacitors,

"ICC PMG -1k 250F"  Blue
"100T UMR -1k"       Green
"CMO6FD 102J03"     Brown
"2A223K"                Green
"223 K5C"          Blue and tiny
"224 K5C"          Blue

I tried looking around on Google for the better part of an hour but I ended up just getting more confused.

Grumpy_Mike

One has "103" printed on it,

That is a 0.01uF - numbers are the same as resistor codes, the last digit being the number of zeros and the value is in pF so you have a 10000pF capacitor which is 10nF or 0.01uF.

The second type has the following printed across 3 lines: "Y5P", "471K", "KCK"

Y5P is the type of dielectric, the value is the 471K like before only the K adds another three zeros so the value is 470000pF or 470nF or 0.47uF. Don't know about the KCK

- the third has two lines, ".0015K", "X5F"

Same again X5F is the dielectric but the number is a bit more vague but I would guess it indicates 15nF

Not sure about the other, that probably shows my age.  :)

CrossRoads

If you have a recent digital multimeter, it can be used to measure the parts directly.  Give it a shot.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

retrolefty

You might find this link useful. The chart on the bottom of the link gives good examples of the numbering scheme Vs capacitance value.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/capacitor/cap_5.html

Go Up