Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Greenpeace, makes the world a better place...  (Read 2143 times)
New River, Arizona
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

That also has to be factually incorrect. 'Natural' uranium needs to undergo an extensive and expensive enrichment process before it can be used as nuclear fuel. I'm sure 3kg of uranium ore (yellow cake) would not power my Arduino for long, let alone the entire USA.

On a roll today lefty??  The poster just misread it a bit.  The actual item from GSU is:

Even with the necessity of enrichment, it still takes only about 3 kg of natural uranium to supply the energy needs of one American for a year.

Which I take with a grain of salt as well.  3Kg of precipitated yellow cake per person at over 300 million people is almost a billion kg to supply the needs of the population for a year???  That doesn't appear to include industry.  The US government says we use about 7 billion barrels of oil a year for all purposes.  These numbers don't line up at all.  There's only a 7 to 1 ratio of oil (barrel) to yellow cake?  I have got to be missing something here.  How much uranium is there in this country??

Oh, they only push the percentage up a little bit to make yellow cake into nuclear fuel.  IIRC they take it from .7% up to 2% or so U235, so 3Kg of yellow cake could power an arduino for a very long time, if you happen to have a nuclear reactor in your yard.

Trying to keep my house under control http://www.desert-home.com/

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

and that is factually incorrect.  The Sacramento river flows through the central valley and exits into San Francisco Bay through the more mountainous terrain of the Northern Valley where there is less farming, and where there are actual family farms still existing.  The Southern valley has the San Joaquin river completely under control. 

Again not correct. The Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers join near the delta town of Antioch near the center point of the central valley where they then flow to the S.F. bay, both rivers use the same outlet to the sea, through the Carquinez straits 2 miles north of my house.

About 40 miles (64 km) from the mouth, the river draws abreast to the western flank of Stockton, one of the basin's largest cities. From here to the mouth, the river is dredged as part of a navigation project, the Stockton Deep Water Ship Channel. Past the head of tide, amid the many islands of the delta, the San Joaquin is joined by two more tributaries: the Calaveras River and the larger Mokelumne. The river grows to almost 5,000 feet (1,500 m) wide before ending at its confluence with the Sacramento River, in Antioch, forming the head of Suisun Bay. The combined waters from the two rivers then flow west through the Carquinez Strait and San Francisco Bay into the Pacific.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:California_rivers.jpg

Lefty

New River, Arizona
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I stand corrected.  It's hard for me to think of Antioch as the center of the valley because my job at the time topped off just N of Fresno.  Below that there are several stretches of San Joaquin that are used for sand riding by the local kids and their quads.  They do the same thing in the river beds of the Tule and Kings during the summer when the flow has been diverted.  They hunt frogs above the weirs on these rivers and sometimes take the "Chevy to the levee" for a little swim.

But this makes me wonder, where the heck is the 3Maf of water that is supplied (allegedly) by the San Joaquin coming from?  Are they only counting the spring run off from the Sierras?  Do the rivers north of Merced carry that much water?  Because it sure ain't coming from the water sources south of Fresno; there's too many dry patches visible from the highways that cross the rivers to support that.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

3Kg of yellow cake could power an arduino for a very long time, if you happen to have a nuclear reactor in your yard.
Well, no.  I don't think 3Kg of yellow cake will end up giving you a critical mass of anything fissionable...

New River, Arizona
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

of course not.  Yellow cake would have to have the impurities removed, then enriched to a little over 2%, then......

But, there's enough energy in there to power an arduino just like there's enough power in the water behind hoover dam to power a city, but you can't throw wires in lake Mead and expect to get shocked.

United States of America, Florida
Watching electrolytic caps exploding is one of my favorite past-times.
View Profile

Thank you for clearing up that misunderstanding I had (slightly embarrassing.) haha.

Memento Mori
------------
Sola Christus

The Christian Hacker:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/141258275980190/

Leeds, UK
View Profile

3Kg of yellow cake could power an arduino for a very long time, if you happen to have a nuclear reactor in your yard.

Funny you should say that...

United States of America, Florida
Watching electrolytic caps exploding is one of my favorite past-times.
View Profile

Funny you should say that...

Now thats cool.

Memento Mori
------------
Sola Christus

The Christian Hacker:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/141258275980190/

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: