Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: need a suggestion for a laptop switch hack  (Read 496 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Greetings All,

I have an older laptop here with a busted screen hinge and a bum battery that operates as a server here at the house.  Does a bunch of things for me and has an arduino plugged in full time that monitors my heating system.  Problem is I want it on all the time, and if the power goes out, that's fine, I can live w/o it for that time, but when the power comes back on I really don't want to have to go hit the power button on the laptop (yeah, I'm lazy).  I can hack the switch easily enough but I'm looking for the easiest circuit possible just to momentarily close that switch when the power comes on.  I guess the easiest is probably to just do it w/the arduino itself, but I'd rather have something separate from that if possible.  Any creative, outside the litter box ideas?

Thanks.

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

Did you check the BIOS for the laptop?  Usually there is a power setting on what to do after power failure.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

View Profile

Yeah...no such luck.  I've rarely seen that option on a laptop, more on servers.  I guess that's what I guess for using a laptop as a server smiley  any other thoughts?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Can you  update the BIOS to have such a feature?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Doubtful.  The BIOS is from Pheonix and I already have the latest, which is years old.  I checked out coreboot but my board isn't listed as supported and I don't want to brick the MB.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: