Go Down

Topic: Camera Flash Trigger -- Includes pretty pictures (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

GlacialWanderer

I used Arduino to build a trigger for my camera's flash.  It turned out to work really well!  The write up includes an explanation of how camera triggers work and the benefits of using Arduino.  One benefit of using a microcontroller like Arduino is that it's easy to have multiple sensors and then have intelligent triggering algorithms.  You can read about it here.  http://www.glacialwanderer.com/hobbyrobotics/?p=11

There are more pictures linked to in the article above, but here's one of my favorites.

If anyone has any recommendations on how to make the article or the flash trigger better let me know.

tigrezno

I tried with a ultrasonic sensor, but found that refresh rate is too big for fast photos.
Also tried a gp2d12 infrared sensor, but the same happened.

I thought using a laser like yours, and i see that it works! I'll try it definitely.
thanks

Oracle

Apr 16, 2008, 02:34 pm Last Edit: Apr 16, 2008, 02:35 pm by Oracle Reason: 1
I built one of these flash triggers from plans in popular electronics in the early 90's.  It was a lot of fun to play with, but used analog electronics and was a lot less flexible than what you can do with an Arduino.

I also used a flashflight because there were no cheap laser pointers, so my setup had to be pretty delicate because not a lot of light was hitting the sensor.

It was also kind of torture to have to shoot a bunch of pictures on film with no feedback on how it's coming out then develop the whole roll and see the same mistake repeated 20 times.  It took weeks to get the technique right.  With it digital camera today, it must be fantastic to play with this kind of photography.

arduinocnc

I designed a good high speed one that uses either A) a laser, B) a sound sensor, or C) a contact switch and it worked wonderful (I did not takes shots with the arduino one yet, but I tested it... so I dont know about lag (should not be a problem, but it does allow for controlled timing)
well, I cant find the code at the moment, but here are the basics: setup sets pin 13 (LED) as output (it is the ready light), and pin 2 as a output (it triggers the SCR for the flash unit), pin 4 as an input, and it waits for the pin to close with ground to trigger the SCR on pin 2 [this is the contact switch], pin 7 is also an input connected to a photo diode, so when a laser hits it the pin can conduct to ground, and when the laser beam is broken it does not conduct (or, you can use a transistor or relay and WAIT for the pin to be able to flow to ground), pins 8 and 12 are connected to normally open buttons, allowing for delay settings (when connected to the computer, it would show on the serial output how many microseconds it would last)... then lastly is an analog input that uses a microphone [or piezo unit, like my preference] to trigger at a certain threshold...
oh well, the above is almost meaningless until I find the code... I used a flash drive to store it, and I left it at school somewhere : - (
but hey, nothing private was on it ^_^

also, it is possible to get results immediately for high speed if instant film is used, and you can apparently get high grade (and yes, I know Polaroid does not make it anymore)... but it is hard to find a moderately priced digital that can respond fast enough.

Oracle

Apr 17, 2008, 12:28 am Last Edit: Apr 17, 2008, 12:28 am by Oracle Reason: 1
oh well, the above is almost meaningless until I find the code... I used a flash drive to store it, and I left it at school somewhere : - (
but hey, nothing private was on it ^_^

Store the files on your HD *and* back them up to the flash stick.

also, it is possible to get results immediately for high speed if instant film is used, and you can apparently get high grade (and yes, I know Polaroid does not make it anymore)... but it is hard to find a moderately priced digital that can respond fast enough.

I didn't want to get beyond the scope of this forum, but I actually used a hassleblad 120mm camera.  I did do some testing with a polaroid back I borrowed from a friend, but at $2.50 a shot, it was an expensive learning process.  And that was the high grade stuff you're talking about, multi-layers you pull apart instead of the cheap plastic square with the white bottom most people think of when they hear polariod.

Go Up