Go Down

Topic: Camera Flash Trigger -- Includes pretty pictures (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

GlacialWanderer

Ah, the wonders of film!  While I don't shoot any of the pricey medium or large format stuff, I prefer the look of my black and white 35mm tri-x film over what my digital can give me.  The thing is if I'm shooting my film I want to develop it and print it myself  and that takes so much time I rarely do it anymore.

Oracle

Ah, the wonders of film!  While I don't shoot any of the pricey medium or large format stuff, I prefer the look of my black and white 35mm tri-x film over what my digital can give me.  The thing is if I'm shooting my film I want to develop it and print it myself  and that takes so much time I rarely do it anymore.

I prefered Ilford to Kodak but I used to buy FP4 and HP5 film by the 30 meter roll.  I'd shoot thousands of frames a year.  I find it ironic that now that it's so cheap and easy to shoot that many pictures I don't bother.  My digital camera rarely goes outside and my Nikon film SLRs are what I use.  And before you think I'm a technophobe, read some of my other posts here, most of my life revolves around high-tech.

I don't devlop my own films anymore though, as you say it takes too much time and costs a lot more than it used to, I kind of miss it.  Have you used any chromagenic films (black and white films that are C-41 process)? I've been really enjoying Ilford's XP2 over the past few years.  It costs under $4 to develop at costco with a complete set of proofs and I love the high contrast.  I believe Kodak makes one too, though they maybe have discontinued it along with their other B&W films.

I don't really enjoy photography since digital took over.  I have 15 year old pictures I remember spending half an hour composing until it's just the perfect shot.  Today the technique is just shoot a hundred pics, take the best one, and crop it.  I remember when we used to take pride in printing the full frame including sprockets to prove we didn't have to crop.

GlacialWanderer

I have done some of that chromagenic (although I didn't know it's name).  I thought it looked about the same as digital shots that I got printed at a good online store with a specialized b&w printer. I think my eyes are used to a certain film/paper combination and they just like that look.  That said they don't like it enough to make me set down my digital most of the time because to me digital is just so convenient.  Maybe someday when I'm older and better at photography I'll use film more often again.

arduinocnc

I use film, and develop it myself, still, as I don't want to shell out the money for the kind of camera I would need (though, after some of the money I have been getting for my shots, I might consider it while still keeping film b/c I like the process). I have a Canon AE-1, old I know, but it does the trick just fine...

hammertime94

it is hard to find a moderately priced digital that can respond fast enough.

Actually, any Canon camera compatible with CHDK (http://www.chdk.wikia.com) can do 1/60000 shutter speeds (sufficient for high-speed photography) and can be controlled via a quick 5V pulse over usb (which you CAN trigger from an arduino).

Go Up