Go Down

Topic: Canon T1i to Arduino (Read 739 times) previous topic - next topic

imagiro1

I am trying to setup my Arduino to trigger my Canon camera. I have a potentiometer to set the delay between pictures. A pulse goes high, waits a given amount of time, and goes low again. This just repeats over and over. I also have it going to an LED so I can tell how fast it will take pictures.

The pulse goes to a transistor. I have tried both BS170 and 2222A NPN transistors.

The cable going to the camera works. If I short the two wires together, it snaps a picture.

When I connect the two wires from the camera to the drain/source or collector/emitter depending on the transistor, nothing happens. I have tried different things including different transistors and setting the pulse width to the camera to be longer/shorter.

The circuit itself seems to be working just fine. Still, I am not able to trigger the camera. Any ideas? Thanks.

pekkaa

Have you checked polarity of the wires from the camera, and wired them in a right way into the transistor? Have you tested the transistor circuit in some other way, i.e., using a multimeter?

imagiro1

Yes, I have tested the transistor. I went from the 3.3V -> Resistor -> Source (pin) -> Drain (pin) -> Ground. I used an O'scope to view the pulse each time the transistor was biased.

I checked the polarity. Most of the time I switched the Drain/Source to verify that wasn't the problem.

a.d

It should be quite straightforward - connect the base of the transistor to the arduino pin through a resistor, the collector to the 'tip' of the mini-jack (for the trigger) and the emitter to the 'sleeve' of the mini-jack. The sleeve is ground.

There's a schematic at the bottom of this page.

imagiro1

Thanks a.d. I thought so too last night when I started this project last night. I basically have the same circuit. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Go Up