Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Need Help(providing correct Voltage)  (Read 540 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm very new with working with electronics like this and need some advice.  

I'm trying to build and RFID door lock(yeah i know..very original) that triggers a 12V electric strike lock.  How  do i provide this power?  As much description as possible would rule.  I'm a noob with the hardware/physical side of this.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:36:01 pm by kylec123 » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

http://www.dipmicro.com/store/DCA-1210

How much current do you need?

You can use arduino to read the RFID, turn on a relay and let the 12V be applied across the strike lock, which I imagine is similar to a solenoid.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

"and let the 12V be applied across the strike lock,"

I think this is what i do not know how to do.   

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

You're going to have some electromechanical thing that moves out of the way to unlock the door, yes?
Pick a mechanism for that, mount it, and bring out two wires from to connect up to a relay so that current can be run thru it similar to a motor.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

Ok, so i need a relay.

This is what im using
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Strike-Door-Lock-Fail-Secure-NO-Long-plate-/160446497488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255b5b42d0#ht_2629wt_754

What relay would you suggest getting?  Obviously a 12V one but i've never messed with one before.  Any help?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Something like this
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=18474+RL
5V coil, resistance >=125 ohm so current is 40mA or less (5V/125 ohm = 40 mA)
Contacts that handle 12V & 450mA

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

Unless you need to isolate the 12v supply from the Arduino supply, I'd use a transistor rather than a relay - it will cost less, consume less power and be more reliable (as long as you remember to include a diode across the coil of the lock).

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: