Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: What resistors should I keep on hand?  (Read 1140 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi everyone!

Any suggestions on which resistor values I should keep in stock?

I currently have 100-700ohm in about 100ohm increments - I keep needing smaller ones though (based on calculations). I'll be working with the Arduino's 5v supply, and mostly small components like LEDs and the like. I notice pull-down resistors should be like 10000ohm - I calculated a single LED at 33ohm, can't buy 1000 kinds in 10 ohm increments!

Thanks, and also first post!

-T

Faraday Member
ruggedcircuits.com
View Profile

I'd suggest standard resistor values in decades: 1 ohm, 2.2 ohms, 3.3 ohms, 4.7 ohms, 5.6 ohms, 6.8 ohms, 8.2 ohms. Then multiply by 10: 10 ohms, 22 ohms, 33 ohms, etc. Keep going until you reach 1 megaohm.

Even if you don't have the exact resistor you want you can probably cook it up by placing two resistors in series or parallel.

You could just buy the motherlode as a single item (if you have the $$$):

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/Q17361/RSQ200-ND/51507

But you could probably get a subset of that yourself for cheaper smiley

--
The Rugged Motor Driver: two H-bridges, more power than an L298, fully protected

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Somewhat cheaper:

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/cfr0w4je006kil/resistor-kit-0-25w-5-e6/dp/1171087

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Why pulldowns?
Generally using the internal pullup:

pinMode(pinX, INPUT);
digitalWrite (pinX, HIGH);  // enables the internal pullup

and them using a switch contact to ground is sufficient.
Same for unused unused inputs, use internal pullup to keep them in a known state.

Single LED with 33 ohm, assuming 20mA current flow:
V/I = R
(5-Vf)/0.02 = 33
5 - Vf = 33*.02
5 = Vf + 0.66
5 - 0.66 = Vf
Vf = 4.34, or maybe a little less if you say Vlo-output is 0.3, then start with 4.7V instead of 5V.

Assuming 20mA current draw, what kind of LED are you using with Vforward = 4.34V ? Seems kinda high. Usually see 3.2 to 3.6 for white, blue.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

In the past I have sold a resistor kit which had values and quantities I consider the most useful:

Sorry about the resistor usage comments in Portuguese. If there's interest I'll translate them later.

View Profile

I bought some of these packs and have found them to be good value and very useful to have on hand

http://www.futurlec.com/ValuePacks.shtml

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

100 (bright LEDs), 1K (normal LEDs, transistor base resistors), 10K (pullups), 100K (555 timer longish delays.)

By all means get one of the "kits" that has lots of values, but the above are the ones I end up using most often.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: