Go Down

Topic: Leonardo Clone out already! (Read 25958 times) previous topic - next topic

fm

Nov 14, 2011, 11:40 am Last Edit: Nov 14, 2011, 11:49 am by fm Reason: 1
Hi chaps,

I've seen that you are following the PaperDuino Leonardo. We have also created a very low cost easy to solder "Leonardo will be clone" called vinciDuinio, though it doesn't provide a 3.3V output like the original Leonardo. You can find details about the board here:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,78781.0.html
and its wiki page here:
https://bitbucket.org/fmalpartida/vinciduino/wiki/Home

We are currently in the process of ordering beta samples to try out the boards.

@Crossroads, very nice work. Excellent job there!!

westfw

Putting out 5V on the 3.3V supply pin seems like a bad idea to me :-(

There were murmurings that the Arduino team was going to add another pin (or something) to make it determinable whether a shield wanted 5V or 3V logic.  Have there been any details of THAT posted yet?

32teeth

Nice design!!!
I have been using the ATMEGA32U4 from Adafruit with Arduino 1.0 Bootloader with great success.

And the below seems to be the correct pin mapping from hardware/arduino/variants/leonardo/pins_arduino.h

Code: [Select]

// ATMEL ATMEGA32U4 / ARDUINO LEONARDO
//
// D0 PD2 RXD1/INT2
// D1 PD3 TXD1/INT3
// D2 PD1 SDA SDA/INT1
// D3# PD0 PWM8/SCL OC0B/SCL/INT0
// D4 A6 PD4 ADC8
// D5# PC6 ??? OC3A/#OC4A
// D6# A7 PD7 FastPWM #OC4D/ADC10
// D7 PE6 INT6/AIN0
//
// D8 PB4 ADC11/PCINT4
// D9# A8 PB5 PWM16 OC1A/#OC4B/ADC13/PCINT5
// D10# A9 PB6 PWM16 OC1B/0c4B/ADC12/PCINT6
// D11# PB7 PWM8/16 0C0A/OC1C/#RTS/PCINT7
// D12 A10 PD6 T1/#OC4D/ADC9
// D13# PC7 PWM10 CLK0/OC4A
//
// A0 PF7 ADC7
// A1 PF6 ADC6
// A2 PF5 ADC5
// A3 PF4 ADC4
// A4 PF1 ADC1
// A5 PF0 ADC0
//
// New pins D14..D17 to map SPI port to digitial pins
//
// D14 PB0 RXLED,SS/PCINT0
// D15 PB1 SCK,PCINT1
// D16 PB2 MOSI,PCINT2
// D17 PB3 MISO,PCINT3
//
// TXLED PD5
// RXLED     PB0
// HWB PE2 HWB

fm

Hi westfw,

thanks for your kind feedback. The latest version of the board has now a 3.3V on the 3.3V pin.

I haven't seen anything regarding the 3.3V or 5V selectable shield. Am curious.

CrossRoads

" the correct pin mapping from hardware/arduino/variants/leonardo/pins_arduino.h"

Hmm, hope I was not far off!
I actually let it autoroute, tweaked placement a little and autoroute again, then moved traces to let missing grounds connect up.
Will see how for off I was  when I get home ...
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads

Can someone explain the D# assignment's of the Leonardo to me? Almost seems arbitrary.

I tried to assign them so the same function would be on the same pin, with a jumper field to allow A4/A5 be that or SCL/SDA, and keep the SPI pins the same to avoid the Mega 'issue' of them being somewhere else.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads

westfw

To make PCB layout trivial?  To show off that it IS arbitrary?  To make sure PWM pins stay in the same place? (I think I'm betting on that last one.  For typical usage (shields, code), it's more important that 3,5,6, 9,10,11 stay PWM-capable than that the pin ordering matches the  port bit ordering.)

From the pins_ file, it sounds like they put the SPI port on the ISP connector (D14..17), freeing up other pins to be connected to D11..13.  The official Ethernet Shield establishes the (unfortunate, IMO) precedent of using the ISP connector for SPI peripherals, rather than the digital IO pins (that way it is compatible with both Arduino AND mega.)

Anyone who actually has a Leonardo is probably under non-disclosure, right?  So it's all speculation unless there is official word...

fm

It sound funny that: people that have a Leonardo are under non disclosure. I mean, this is an open hardware platform, right? Or is it?

Graynomad

this is an open hardware platform, right?

Yes it does seem a bit of an contradiction, I'm hanging out to see the Due schematic because I'd like to do a clone design.

Maybe they don't want to release stuff until it's right. Otherwise they'll be buggy versions circulating.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

frank26080115

I'm hanging out to see the Due schematic because I'd like to do a clone design.

maybe they don't want clones to compete with the big release

Other dev-platforms are not as threatening to Arduino's business in comparison to clones. Arduino is like Apple in the sense that they are dependent on their own branding in order to make sales.
Freelance engineer, consultant, contractor. Graduated from UW in 2013.

CrossRoads

Having SPI on ICSP is not really helpful - still need a chip/slave select line.

I'll rearrange a little to put more PWMs on the 'standard' pins.

roypogi

Playing with these for a about 2 weeks now. Boot loader has been stable as of latest release. LED blink that comes with the boot loader is now "breathing". Adafruit's 32U4 breakout is easiest to try this out, altho I made my own version and works nicely. Nice to walk away from the pricey FT232Rl chip.
Panucatt Devices

CrossRoads

What pins_arduino.h data did you use with that?

roypogi

What pins_arduino.h data did you use with that?

The one posted by 32teeth (from 1.0rc2)

FM,

The way you have your TX LED wired, wouldnt that just have the LED on all the time?
Panucatt Devices

Go Up