Go Down

Topic: Opel TID Display (Read 30440 times) previous topic - next topic

bobale

Dec 31, 2012, 05:16 pm Last Edit: Dec 31, 2012, 05:19 pm by bobale Reason: 1
Good job Giovanni83, nicely done. Now I can't wait my Arduino to arrive. I plan to modify MPGuino to display data on stock display in my Astra instead of 16x2 originally used in the project.

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/MPGuino

added a couple of functions, like the bargraph and the ability to write/delete only a substring of characters

opelTiD 1.1

@bobale
cool project. In fact i did this library to use my corsa display with the OBDuino

bobale

I've actually bought Arduino solely because of OBDuino (already have TI Launchpad, and it was enough for my needs). I really appreciate your effort to adapt existing code to work with Arduino.

Offtopic: which Corsa do you have? :)

Offtopic: which Corsa do you have?

an old corsa b 1.0 that  keeps hangin on

bobale

It's not powerful, but at least it likes to rev, and that 3-cylinder configuration gives it a nice sound.

God, I can't wait for my Arduino to arrive, I really want to make this TID+MPGuino thing work.

AJB2K3

Thanks for posting, I was looking at doing some mods to my MKIV (G) Astra and came across this.

Will this work for a mega adk?

However the Haynes Manual (UK service book maker) Has the pins as 9, 10,11, (8?) and 12 as (as previously noted) the road speed signal but the Haynes diagram is for the Multi display (I am a TID user swell!).

I haven't had my TID out since a painted my dash so I have a question.

Does the MID & TID have the same connector and pin count?

Also how hard would it be to also used an OLED display (Adafruit unit) with the TID?
Sorry for the noobish post but my knowledge is 10 years out of date!

bobale

No, TID and MID don't have same pinout. Even connector is different. Road speed can be picked up somewhere near instument panel/speedo.

Jan 08, 2013, 10:17 pm Last Edit: Jan 09, 2013, 08:18 pm by Giovanni83 Reason: 1
Does the MID & TID have the same connector and pin count?

i don't know about the MID, but if you need the pinout for the TID here is a good link:
TID page
Will this work for a mega adk?

i tested it with an old mega board and compiled for arduino 1.x, i can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work with the adk

AJB2K3

Jan 09, 2013, 08:01 pm Last Edit: Jan 09, 2013, 08:06 pm by AJB2K3 Reason: 1

i tested it with an old mega board and compiled for arduino 1.x, i can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work with the adk

I'm glad you said that as i'm using a maga adk and 1.+ process.

Thanks,just need to get a spare display to play with.

Your link doesn't work.

Your link doesn't work.

sorry, fixed.

AJB2K3

Can you post Pictures of your setup and connections please?

i'm afraid a picture wouldn't be of much help, but here is how i connected the tid to my mega

tid connector pin

1   -> +12 V
2   -> disconnected
3   -> ground
4   -> disconnected
5   -> disconnected (i tried this to +12 but the tid goes off... even if it shouldn't)
6   -> disconnected
7   -> disconnected
8   -> +12 V
9   -> pin 5 on my mega
10  -> pin 6 on my mega
11  -> pin 7 on my mega
12  -> disconnected

worth to mention that connections for 9,10,11 needs to be configured when including the library into your project (see tid.h)

AJB2K3

Jan 11, 2013, 07:15 am Last Edit: Jan 11, 2013, 07:32 am by AJB2K3 Reason: 1
Strange dunno why it's doing that.
And the mega works fine with the coms lines!
Ok something I came across on a car forum is that, some hoe the display is able to retrieve error codes from the edu.
Is it possible to get the arduino to both read and write on the i2c bus?

while inside my car, i could press both buttons of my display and after a while it would show me the speed and then show a "test screen" with all characters lit. Once removed from the car, connected as i told in the post above and powered up, doing the same operation made all stored fault codes appear in sequence. I'm not sure why this doesn't happen when mounted inside the veichle, nor if those codes can be retrieved from the tid, all i know is that read operations on i2c bus need a 1 after the address, so in this case the address byte becomes 0x95

roelke

Thanks for the OpelTID library
Unfortunately I've tried to use it, but it's not working.

I'm using the following code, and the only thing I see is sometimes a CD symbol  : http://pastebin.com/2jHE4zxh
I can change the symbol by changing the the value of  i
But I'm not seeing any text.

I'm using a UNO R3 and i've tried 2 TID.
What I'm doing wrong ?

Roel

Go Up