Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: creating a cyborg fish need some assisstance.  (Read 1302 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

My idea/goal is to create a Cyborg fish that I can control. Certain parts will be controlled by the fish such as buoyancy but the tail movement and perhaps a few others are controlled by me.

How I am thinking of doing this is IF POSSIBLE, with the arduino I would like to send timed electrical impulses to the fish's muscle which makes it twitch and thus it will swim. I have a positive wire and a GND wire, in between those is the fish's muscle. I was thinking perhaps the arduino could be fooled into thinking its connected to a LED and when I tell the arduino set LED mode HIGH it sends the impulse then I set led Mode Low to turn of the impulse. By setting delays between impulses I can make it twitch and thus swim. Any ideas on this?

Also, if I happeend to need say a 12 V battery, is it possible to use the arduino to control the battery's electrical flow and use the ardunio as on/off for controlled intervals of impulses?

PS: Can I control capacitor discharges with arduino?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:20:12 am by twirap » Logged

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Do you already have an arduino? If so, have you tried the LED blink examples?

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

View Profile

ive done more than just LED examples. Ive hooked servos and controlled with POTS and stuff...Can I control Capacitor discharges?

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Can I control Capacitor discharges?

Probably with a transistor, mosfet, relay, or similar. It is basically a power source when charged.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Boston
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Sorry, but I can't answer your question.
But I did find a cool robotic fish from the Center for Biorobotics.
Maybe it will give you some ideas for your project.
http://www.robotliving.com/prototype/robotic-fish-2/

View Profile

Sorry, but I can't answer your question.
But I did find a cool robotic fish from the Center for Biorobotics.
Maybe it will give you some ideas for your project.
http://www.robotliving.com/prototype/robotic-fish-2/

I want to make my arduino charge a capacitor then discharge it, I would like to use the arduino to control the delays between each discharge

God Member
"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics" Homer J. Simpson
View Profile

Since you say "Cyborg" rather than "Robot" I take it you intend to operate on a living fish?
How do you intend attaching the control signals to the fish in the water?
Don't you consider this is likely to be cruel and have little chance of success?

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

Since you say "Cyborg" rather than "Robot" I take it you intend to operate on a living fish?
How do you intend attaching the control signals to the fish in the water?
Don't you consider this is likely to be cruel and have little chance of success?

If you were planning to stick electrodes into a live fish and try to control it electronically, that sounds like a bizarre and cruel thing to try to do. (Also unlikely to achieve anything useful, but that's not my concern.)

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

View Profile

well, I was planning on taking a dead fish and attaching the electrodes to that with some capacitors. by adding movement to the dead fish it can be used as bait for fishing smiley-razz normally people use frozen fish and the effectiveness of it is less than the live fish bait, with some movement in a dead fish results could improve drastically. I saw this university experiment where they control monkeys and live insects and their flight by sending electrical impulses to their brain which controls their movement. Here I just wanna operate on control a dead fish;s movement.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:43:09 am by twirap » Logged

Edison Member
If you're not living on the Edge, you're taking up too much space!
View Profile

Interesting.  I don't think it will be easy to make the muscles move the way you want.  I think that's where you should start before you invest in any more electronics or spend time writing software.

If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

God Member
View Profile

Certain parts will be controlled by the fish
Dead fish don't usually control anything.

If you have a freshly dead fish then you should be able to make it twitch using electrodes, you should not need a microprocessor.
I would be surprised if you could get it to remotely imitate swimming. The twitching might make it seem more like a distressed fish and so attract predators. However sharks, for example, are sensitive to electric fields so whether the field generated by your electrodes would attract or repel is not obvious.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

A tenchinator?

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

God Member
View Profile

The bionic marlin.
The chub men.
Darth viperfish.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: