Go Down

Topic: DAC help (Read 787 times) previous topic - next topic

Hey everyone, I just bought a MCP4725 DAC from sparkfun online:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8736

This DAC has 12 bits of resolution from 0V to 5V

Now that I attached it to some speakers and made it play a simple square wave, its only making a scratching sound, like when you hook up a battery to some speakers. I was wondering if I absolutely need a negative current to work the speakers. And if so, how would I do this?

Thanks in advance for your help

Grumpy_Mike

I was wondering if I absolutely need a negative current to work the speakers

No it will work off a single supply.
However, you can't just connect it up to a speaker because it takes much more current than the chip can supply, you will need an amplifier before the speaker. I hope you have not blown up the D/A chip by trying to draw too much current from it.

Then how can I generate a negative voltage? Is this AC coupling?

Grumpy_Mike

Why do you want to generate a negative voltage?

retrolefty

First you need to run the output of the DAC through a series capacitor, 1 ufd should cover low enough tones, that will remove the DC bias and give you a true AC voltage referenced to ground. Second your DAC does not have a low enough output impedenance (source current drive) to directly drive anything but a very small speaker, it really should wire to a audio preamp/amp device sized for the speaker output wattage you require.

Lefty

I am aware that the DAC is not powerful enough to drive large speakers ( I am currently using old laptop speakers ). And thanks lefty, i'll definitively do the capacitor thing.

Why do you want to generate a negative voltage?

Because to drive speakers you need a negative voltage, Am I wrong?

Thank you for your help

Grumpy_Mike

Yes you are wrong. Using a capacitor for coupling removes the DC bias and makes your varying DC signal into an AC one. That is also what an amplifier will do for you like I said on my first reply.

Thank you all for your help

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy