Go Down

Topic: Application extreme slow on Win7 64-bit (Read 899 times) previous topic - next topic

studijo

Nov 12, 2011, 08:31 pm Last Edit: Nov 12, 2011, 09:18 pm by studijo Reason: 1
I have since some hours an Arduino One but my first impression insn't positive at all...

The installation of the driver was a piece of cake but the troubles begun when I launched the application (on Win 7 64-bit).
The blue Arduino alpha intro pop-up screen is about half a minute displayed before the program really runs.

When I choose 'Tools' in the menu it takes again about 10 seconds before the result is displayed. A look in the FAQ learned me to disable all other serial ports on my computer but I gives exactly the same result.

Also when I load an Example it takes about 10 seconds...

When I do an upload to the board i have the idea that it takes about 10 seconds before something happens. Then the RX/TX led on the board are blinking and the example is transmitted.

The conclussing is that there is always a delay of 10 seconds.

This is no way of working.  :(

Hopefully someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

AWOL

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

studijo

Dear,

All bluetooth devices (which normall appear as standard serial connections COM) and all serial connections (except COM18 for the Arduino One) are disabled...

robtillaart

my win7/64 takes approx 8 sec to start, note that the first time it might need to start the java environment too.  loading files is "instantaneously", so these times are definitely too slow.

Just thinking about possible causes:

Q: Do you have encountered problems with other java based apps?
Q: which versionof the IDE do you have installed?
Q: have you tried a reinstall?
Q: encountered slow disks access in other apps?
Q: which virus protection do you use? has it flagged the Arduino stuff somehow?

Q: what PC are you using, specs #GB's etc?

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

robert rozee

you might care to try temporarily disabling your anti-virus software. i've had trouble with av software causing the arduino ide to take a minute or more to start up. if this fixes the problem, consider switching to different av software.

and please do report back your results here, either way   :-)

studijo

Thanks Robert and Rob for the suggestions.

Hereby my answers to your questions:

- I havo no problems with other java based application but have update to V6 Update 29 and the problems remains
- Sorry what do you mean by 'IDE version'? My harddrive is connected through SATA (no IDE)
- Basicaly there is no real 'installation'. You download a zip-file, uncompress and run the executable. Have tried a second download with the same result
- I never occured troubles with slow disk access at all
- No anti-virus program installed

My PC is a dual core E8200 processor @ 2,66 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, HD 500 Gb via SATA.

I tried the same source (USB -stick with the downloaded zip) on a Windows XP 32-bit laptop and there the application runs smouthly.
The difference is huge between the 2 computers.

It seems that something on the Win7 machine 'interrupts' the application to do his job as expected.

Hope someone can help me out... 

PSabari

Hey i'm Using the Win7/64. My machine also bit slower in uploading programs and stuffs. You may keep updating JAVA versions. It may Help... :)

robtillaart

Sorry what do you mean by 'IDE version'? My harddrive is connected through SATA (no IDE)

IDE is also Integrated Development ENvironment, do you have Arduino 20, 21 or 22 or ?
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Go Up