Go Down

Topic: Small Arduino Replacement? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

Most LEDs are spec'ed for 20mA.
RGB, 20mA per color.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Coding Badly

The Teensy is extremely cool, but I rarely find myself needing the small size and built-in USB.

There are many more differences...

• Full speed USB (12 Mps) versus 115200 baud.  Transferring data between the board and the PC is much faster.  It is even possible for the board to detect when the PC has the port open.
• Hardware USART not used for communicating with the PC making it available for communicating with other devices.
• More PWM pins
• Few more I/O pins
• More analog pins
• Two 16 bit timers instead of one
• Less expensive

And, when "switching" from working with, say, an RBBB to an Teensy, I'd also use "Tools | Board" to tell the development environment, just as I would if, say, switching from an Uno to a Duemilanova?

Yes.  As an added bonus, Teensyduino makes the IDE a bit friendlier even when used for non-Teensy boards.

jsfetzik

For size reference here are the Arduino variants that I have and a couple of ATTiny boards.

From left to right:

1) Circuit board for the Femtoduino designed by Fabio Varesano. By far the smallest, but will not work directly with a breadboard. Needs an FTDI adapter.

2) Teensy 2.0. A little smaller than a Pro mini, more I/O pins, built in USB, and a couple dollars less.

3) Arduino Pro Mini 3.3V from Sparkfun. Standard Arduino. You need an FTDI adapter. I use this FTDI cable from Sparkfun.

4) ATTiny13/ATTiny25 board from AllgaierShops. Good for breadboard work, but no Ardunio bootloader so you need to use C compiler and an ISP programmer.

5) ATTiny2313 board  from AllgaierShops. Good for breadboard work, but no Ardunio bootloader so you need to use C compiler and an ISP programmer.

CrossRoads

And my Mini-uino boards, 1.3" square, with ICSP pins for downloading bootloader via FTDI Breakout, or Arduino as ISP, or Mdfly programmer.
Ground next to each IO pin aslo.
Need to install ATMega328P-AU, 16 MHz xtal, two 22 pf caps, 3 100nF caps, 10K resistor, header pins to suit your needs.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

tkbyd

For the sake of completeness, we ought to mention the Solarbotics Ardweeny. ($10) The PBC with the support circuits is barely larger than the DIL Atmega, and is soldered to its pins...

http://www.solarbotics.com/products/kardw/

... not that I think it is a GOOD design... but it is kind of fun!

So... anyone want to take on the challenge of doing that with one of the tiny square SMT Atmegas?  <^_^>

Go Up