Go Down

Topic: Dual Core 168 Arduino (Read 21 times) previous topic - next topic

spiffed

While an Arduino128 or the SiameseDuino is an excellent option for new purchases, I think an IO expanding shield with a second I2C slaved Atmega128 on it and a second set of IO pins might be a good option for existing Arduino owners.
iDuino - MaxSerial - [url=http://spi

John_Ryan

Yip, we probably could have done it as a "slave 168" shield. But didn't, because this design in total uses less components than say, an NG - and can be as small as two RBBB's end to end.

A shield also wouldn't allow certain components to be shared, like the resonator - although, two 168's as a shield would.

But I'm not sure how you'd program the chips if it was a shield, I think you'd still need the mini-USB adapter - if anyone thinks up a way that this can be a shield in the next 24 hours, then let me know, we've got a hundred pcb's on order that won't go into production for another day or so.

sidgug

Very nice and very useful idea.

Will you be selling the PCB's?

John_Ryan

Thanks sidgug.

Yes, once we've tested the PCB's we'll put some out for anyone else who wants to buy them :)

spiffed

A shield also wouldn't allow certain components to be shared, like the resonator - although, two 168's as a shield would.

As an IO shield, I don't know that you'd need a resonator, the AtMega should be OK at 1/2 speed on it's internal RC clock; otherwise, they're a matter of a dime or so.

But I'm not sure how you'd program the chips if it was a shield, I think you'd still need the mini-USB adapter - if anyone thinks up a way that this can be a shield in the next 24 hours, then let me know, we've got a hundred pcb's on order that won't go into production for another day or so.

If you did it right, the shield would only need to be programmed once, with generic I2C code, and never again. This could either be done by programming the micro in another board (a ZIFDuino?) and transferring it to the shield, adding an ICSP header and using a programmer, or adding a TTL-serial header and using something like the Arduino Mini USB Adapter or the FT232 cable.

I have a fair portion of the slave I2C code written, I'll see if I can write the master library and design a shield proof-of-concept in the morning.
iDuino - MaxSerial - [url=http://spi

Go Up