Go Down

Topic: USB Port selection (Read 809 times) previous topic - next topic

nivar

Hi,
              I have recently purchased a Arudino Duemilanove board and installed it on my compaq desktop running vista software . It worked  perfectly . But a couple of days back the desktop  was accidentally reformatted and original settings gone. I again downloaded the Arudino software and installed  it . But unfortunately now I can't assign the com port 4 ( previously working) . Once I select the tools and try to select port it is frozen as COM 3. I tried to run the 'blink' program and getting the following error message.
avrdude:stk500_get sync(): not in sync resp=0x00
arvdude:stk500_disable():protocol error,expect=0x14 resp=0x51

What may be the problem and how to solve the same? Thanks for your time.

Regards

Nivar

James C4S

quit the ide, disconnect the arduino.  when you reload the ide, does the same com port show up?

did you reinstall the ftdi drivers?
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

nivar

Hi James,
                 Thanks for your reply. Yes I have done all. Disconnected the board, also multiple times deleted and reinstalled the IDE/drivers .The COM PORT still frozen on 'COM3'. Any other solution?

Regards,
(Nivar)

James C4S

You didn't answer my question:
quit the ide, disconnect the arduino.  when you reload the ide, does the same com port show up?

If COM3 shows up when the Arduino is disconnected, then COM3 isn't the Arduino.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

nivar

Hi James,
                      Yes same COM3 shows up and I can't select anything else as it is frozen . Thanks for the prompt reply.
Regards
(Nivar)

magnethead794

Is the Arduino showing up as a COM port in Device Manager?
KF5RVR

James C4S

Yes same COM3 shows up and I can't select anything else as it is frozen . Thanks for the

Okay so now you know that COM3 isn't the Arduino.  No point in trying to program it.  The IDE only lists the com ports that Windows tells it.  If the IDE doesn't see the Arduino it is because your operating system doesn't either.

You are installing the FTDI drivers, correct?

What you plug the board in, what shows up in Device Manager?

nivar

Hi James & magnethead,
                               When I plug the board there is no change in the device manager. Also when I tried the Arduino board on a Netbook opering on Win7 it  works perfectly. It shows serial port as COM4 . But it is a lot slower .It takes several minutes to load and execute even a small program like Blink' . That is why I wanted my desktop to interface the board. So based on my above observations I think the problem is with my desktop OS (vista). Any suggestions how to rectify it? Thanks for your time.

With regards,
(Nivar)

nivar

Hi,
              Can anybody please tell me how to reset my USB COM Ports without again reinstalling my Windows operating system (Vista) Thanks in advance .
(Nivar)

nivar

Hi Everyone,
                         At last I was able to sort out the problem . I went to the device manager and reinstalled the driver for (FTDI device) while the Arudino board was connected to the USB port. Now it is fine and working as before. Thanks to all people who tried to help me .

(Nivar)

Go Up