Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Why Arduino project is not using KiCAD EDA?  (Read 3473 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

We had goal to make Arduino like board by KiCAD.
And we have done a board named SafeDuino.
SafeDuino is an Arduino compatible board. Made for power isolation. Made for boxes. (http://bit.ly/rF1Xfj) SafeDuino is software compatible with Arduino Uno. Its slots are compatible too.

We made boards in FINELINE (http://www.fineline-global.com/).  Components mounting we made by FINELINE Russia.

KiCAD and Arduino are easy and possible!

More https://picasaweb.google.com/109660789457407032533/SafeduinoHome?authuser=0&feat=directlink

May be will Arduino project use KiCAD EDA?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Anything's possible.

But if one has paid for the commercial version of a program, why go back to something else?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

For business point of view there is no need. But for open hardware there is important. IMHO

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

The free hobbyist version of Eagle is plenty for most folks.

The design is open hardware - you are free to impement it using any tool you like.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Once experienced with your tool, it doesn't take long to impement the design either if the symbols exist, not a whole lot of parts there.

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

Can you use KiCAD in Windows? And what about Mac OSX?

You actually kinda replied to the question yourself when you said:

For business point of view there is no need. But for open hardware there is important. IMHO

If it is open, it should be for everyone (or as many as possible) and not just for people using GNU/Linux. Therefor, Eagle is pretty much the best solution for the schematics.

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

Some of the Arduino team use Macs. 

I imagine they used Eagle for the same reason I do.

KiCAD doesn't run on OS X, Eagle does. 

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

Also, when Arduino first shipped, KICAD didn't exist...

God Member
View Profile

KiCAD isn't that good, or at least I don't like it in comparison with EAGLE.

Freelance engineer, consultant, contractor. Graduated from UW in 2013.

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

Also, when Arduino first shipped, KICAD didn't exist...

And Eagle goes, at least, as far back as 2000.

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

View Profile

Thank everybody for your answers.
I didn't know about problems of KiCAD in Mac OS:(

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

Maybe through MacPorts? Someday?

But Eagle works well in Mac OSX.

Another thing that is important is the fact that once you get started using this kind of software you start creating your own footprints and components and it gets harder and harder to change. Unless you can export libraries freely between softwares.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

KiCAD COMPILES for Mac.  It just doesn't seem to work.  It's hard to tell whether anyone is working on the problem(s)

I thought it was WONDERFUL when EAGLE started supporting Macs, and I thought there initial "compromise" where they took the linux/X11 version and made it work under MacX (Apple supported X11 for MacOS) was brilliant; I wish more vendors who did linux SW would do that.  The native macos version is much prettier, but these are engineering tools, and "working" is more important than "pretty native gui."

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

KiCAD COMPILES for Mac.  It just doesn't seem to work.  It's hard to tell whether anyone is working on the problem(s)

I thought it was WONDERFUL when EAGLE started supporting Macs, and I thought there initial "compromise" where they took the linux/X11 version and made it work under MacX (Apple supported X11 for MacOS) was brilliant; I wish more vendors who did linux SW would do that.  The native macos version is much prettier, but these are engineering tools, and "working" is more important than "pretty native gui."

Wireshark works over X11 as well. smiley

New Zealand
God Member
Arduino pebbles
View Profile

KiCAD is available for Linux, Windows and OS X (see & see).

I have used it on OS X with some success and my impression is that Windows is fully supported. Building it was non-trivial last time I tried but there are a number of sites with OS X snapshots linked from the Downloads page so I just download a pre-built snapshot when needed. (I also ran the Windows version under WINE on OS X at one time.)

FWIW it's been a while since I last downloaded a snapshot and I'm not currently on an OS X box so I can't verify for you that the latest snapshot is happy.

--Philip;

P.S. It's debatable whether or not KiCAD was around when the Arduino was designed given its apparent first release was sometime between 1992-2004 according to Wikipedia & email archives. smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: