Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Can't decide whether the resistance is too high or too low to be measured  (Read 745 times)
unprobable country named Belgium
Ga bu zo
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

I am trying to build pressure sensors with Linqstat film but I don't know how to interpret the resistance's values I am reading on my digital multimeter.

Whatever the range I choose (up to 20 Mohms) the displayed value is 1. Does it mean the resistance is always bigger than the highest range or that it is always smaller ? I am sure the multimeter is OK because I have checked it with a resistor before.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:58:12 am by amundsen » Logged

Upstate NY
View Profile

Hello,

I am trying to build pressure sensors with Linqstat film but I don't know how to interpret the resistance's values I am reading on my digital multimeter.

Whatever the range I choose (up to 20 Mohms) the displayed value is 1. Does it mean the resistance is always bigger than the highest range or that it is always smaller ? I am sure the multimeter is OK because I have checked it with a resistor before.
Yes, or your DVM/leads are bad. 
When you short the 2 leads together do you get a very small reading, less than an ohm?

Edison Member
View Profile

A way to check if its too low is to put the meter on continuity test, it will beep or eatever if its low ohms,
It sounds suspicious that it has the same value throughout the ranges, maybe the pressure switch is nott making a connection somewhere

Ga bu zo
View Profile

When you short the 2 leads together do you get a very small reading, less than an ohm?

Indeed. So do you think that if I read 1. it means the resistance is overriding the multimeter's range ?

Edison Member
View Profile

either its a really cheap multimeter and i would suggest getting a new one, or its not connected
the multimeters ive used would atleast give me like a .2 or some decimal number for a low resistance

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

So do you think that if I read 1. it means the resistance is overriding the multimeter's range ?
My very cheap meter gives this reading on resistance when there is no connection between the two probes.
I would say this was the reason rather than the resistance you were trying to measure was too high.

Ga bu zo
View Profile

OK, I found a very simple way to check : I first measured a 1M resistor with the multimeter set to the 200k range. The figure displayed was 1. Then I switched to the 2M range and it moved constantly between 1.011 and 1.012. Also when there's no connection between the probes it displays 1. too (infinite resistance). So 1. means much resistance. Well I could have figured out that sooner. That's what is happening when one works too much. Duh.

It means my homemade FSR are not very good !

View Profile

I know it's been a while since last posting about developing your on FSR's, but how goes your luck using Linqstat?  As I mentioned before, Linqstat does not give comparable readings like that of Velostat.  It does however give decent readings when read from the same side (whether that be 4-mil or 8-mil).  I've made several FSR's using Linqstat by placing a grid like array of equidistant cathode/anode's along the measurable surface of Linqstat.  You have to play around with the distances between your cathodes and anodes to adjust for sensitivity.  Cheers.

Ga bu zo
View Profile

Hello,

I have stopped working with Linqstat completely. I have gone another path, using Hall effect sensors on edges of my surface to track changing distance when pressure is applied on a plate. I'd give Velostat a try when I have more time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: